UV Dye-agnosing Fuel Leaks

Rate this topic

I have always been a big fan of finding new uses for tools and chemicals or multitasking things. I have mentioned before that using UV dye in fuel system to find leaks is damn effective and works well on any engine. The technique requires adding a 3oz bottle of UV Leak Tracer dye for OIL BASED fluids directly into the fuel filter  and running the engine long enough to mix and circulate the dye into the system.  Access whatever part of the fuel system you want to inspect and shine your UV light onto the suspect components.

Here is a 6.4L injector leaking near the top at the body nut. This is not the first one  I have seen leaking here but this is the first one I have been able to photograph. I think this is neat so I thought I would share. I have another picture in the Gallery showing another 6.4L injector leaking at the inlet fitting.

P1010096 (Custom).JPG

I posted an article on this today. http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles.html/_/dtsarticles/uv-dye-agnosis-r44

Feel free to read it as it expands on this topic as we have yet to mention the safety aspects of finding leaks on high pressure fuel systems. Also if there are any good points to add to the article that are not there please mention them and I will add them as needed!