Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (tablet as a scan tool)

Rate this topic

I have been looking into purchasing a IDS capable device for myself and came across the idea of the Microsoft surface pro 2 after using it at ford school ( ford asset apprenticeship at centennial college) the surface pro 2 is the only tablet that can run the IDS soft wear because it runs a full version of windows 8.1. We used it for testing various pre-rigged concerns with demo vehicles in class and I thought it was really cool. The Panasonic tough book laptop retails for $3,300 (can) and the surface pro 2 retails for $1200 which is a significant savings! A VCM 2 retails for approx 250-300$ on eBay/amazon and a one year subscription for the IDS softwear is approx $600 a year ( which I would have my dealer pay for) you can also run 3 devices off of one softwear licence so if your shop only has one IDS you can have potentially two more for no additional cost.

So to summaries

1) Microsoft surface pro 2 = $1200

2) VCM 2 = $250-300

3) IDS subscription 1 year =$600 ( dealer paying )

Total cost : approx $1550

Does it sound worth it or a waste of money?

I think the tablet wouldn't be a bad idea but however the $300 to $400 vcm 2's on ebay and amazon are probably counterfeit ones. Especially since most of the cheap ones on ebay are in china. I can go on Rotunda right now and buy a vcm that is warrantied for 2 years and guaranteed to be authentic for $950.

all i see it as is that the VCM is a cable (pathway) from the DLC on the vehicle to the computers USB port. if the cheeper knockoff works at connecting the vehicle to computer then im happy. if they dont work and have connection problems then I would have to go for a rotunda one but if it works then i have no problem with saving $600+ and getting the knock off modle...besides our shop has the legitamate rotunda vcms and we have nothing but problems, always have to unplug the usb and plug it back in to get a connection.

The knock off ones require specific patched software that is about dependable as the weather.

No reflashing either.

Most of the knockoff ones ship with a modified copy of IDS 75 so it's way out of date.

Not to mention the moral side of knowingly and willingly purchasing a pirated product that is illegal and also contributes to higher prices for other comsumers... people like me who will choke out the $ to buy a VCM-2 Ford.

In all reality, you can buy a genuine Rotunda VCM-2 and an inexpensive laptop that far exceeds the minimum required specifications for less than the example you supplied above. If memory serves me Bruce was finding E-Machines laptops for $199 or @299 at Best Buy?

Yeah, I know. This is about using a tablet as a scan tool but I had to interject.

There's an old saying from the rec.woodworking usenet group. "Buy the best you can get and only cry once - get cheap and cry every time you use it". 

The following is a page directly from e-bay that pretty much sums up VCMs 

http://www.ebay.com/gds/VCM-Clones-and-Chinese-Knock-offs-DONT-BE-A-VICTIM-/10000000028016083/g.html

• Like 1

So I have confirmed this morning that with the new IDS 90.01 softwear update, the VCM 2 will now work wirelessly with the Microsoft surface pro 2 tablet. Previously the VCM one would work as a hardwired connection but the VCM 2 would not due to softwear issues that have now been corrected with IDS 90