Life in the north...

Rate this topic

Jim Warman

Neither me nor Tyler is sure if we are related or not - but it might be a reasonable assumption since we're both from disfunctional families. He is also the manager of the Boston Pizza here in town. My son worked there before he graduated high school and he had fun with the names very chance he got.

Kieth, I have no coins to put on the tracks until after I go to the bottle depot  :grin: .

We did that when we were kids - my dad was a real big railroad buff and many vacation trips had railroad related day trips ans stops around the country. Flattened coins were really cool... and I do know that they will not derail anything except a model railroad train. As a matter of fact, I have all of my fathers HO trains - engines and all rolling stock. Our cats used to walk all over dads layout and it was common to find an entire train on it's side looking very much like your wreck there in Slave Lake.

Yeah I just saw the pictures this morning Jimbo.  Too busy enjoying the warm weather here in B.C. lol.  There was a video on facebook of some guy walking down the track and showing missing bolts, loose bolts damaged track and misaligned tracks all before the derailment happened. I think it was from last fall and I know they hadn't worked on the track since last year so not to sure if this was before they had done and repairs or after.  Just a good thing it wasn't worse or it wasn't any of the oil cars that are always going through town.

Kenny, we were complaining about the condition of the track back when I was still on the FD. As I recall, they didn't even reduce the speed limit on that stretch. The anhydrous ammonia I mentioned is stored under pressure much like propane. It boils at -28 F and is highly corrosive  have no idea what it smells like because it will kill you if you breathe it. It is applied as fertilizer to crops. Quite  bit passes through town during growing season.