Mercon V

Rate this topic

In response to some of the debate on other forums, I called HotLine regarding the use of MercV in the 4R100.

I was told that there will be a message coming down the pipe telling us that MercV is OK for the 4R100.

Part of it looke like waiting for most of the 4R100 population to vanish from warranty coverage.. part of it looks like a part number reduction that looks like it is going to happen whether it is good or not... part of it looks like corporate backpedalling...

One of my worries... We've been telling folks that MercV is no good for a 4R100.... and now we are going to say something entirely different?

• 1 month later...

saw the same message today on fmc home page merc V official merc replacement.

i was told by a bulk supplier that was in the shop one day that merc sp was going to go vehicle wide for all former merc applications so who knows whats next.

I remember the old days.... a product called B&M Trick Shift for use in transmissions requiring Type A fluid (I told you I was old)... It was basically Type F fluid.

The big difference was the coefficient of friction as the clutch pack/band approached lock up. The fluid change would deliver firmer feeling shifts.

While we see constant references to using the correct fluid, I do believe that using the incorrect fluid (in the majority of cases but not "all" cases) would have negligible effect on the service life of a unit...

At the same time, I will continue to play "CYA" and use the recommended fluid - period.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this one slipped by everybody, so far. As I'd mentioned some time ago, we were to expect a TSB regarding Mercon and MerconV. 06-14-04 addresses this subject but not without some problems.

What the TSB doesn't say..... Do NOT mix Mercon and MerconV. Mercon is to be discontinued from Ford. Mercon V is not to be used in transfer cases using clutches (AWD Explorer, Harley Davidson half ton and others). I haven't heard about manual transmissions with fibre facings on the synchros...

How on earth could the engineers leave us without a service lubricant for these assemblies?

• 2 months later...

hate to bring up an old thread

New or additional information is always good! I guess this puts merit to the confusion and a little more attention needs to be put toward spreading the word about the change. There was an announcement and a TSB as listed here but I wonder what the aftermarket world has heard about this change?

we have gotten precisely jack shit as far as info. the only reason i heard about it was a discussion on IATN a few months back. my wife works at NAPA, and even their sales reps didnt know about it! of course, that doesnt really carry much merit, most of them wouldnt know merc v from synchromesh......

i got bored and read the back of a bottle of valvoline merc v we had on the shelf. it had in fine print: meets mercon V specifications. also to be used in any vehicle having mercon II/III specifications.

but its got SHUDDERGUARD!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif