Exhaust Leaks

Rate this topic

I know we have touched on exhaust this and exhaust that here but damn it just seems like all of a sudden 6.4L trucks  are now developing all kinds of exhaust leaks and are becoming a more common repair. Turbo up-pipes, exhaust manifolds, turbo... anyone else  making this observation or am I late to the party? We have had a rash of them in the last year and currently I am replacing a HPFP gasket and observed a few broken manifold bolts which has be come more common than the flex joints in the up-pipes. <sigh>

Nope, I'm fairly new to the diesel world and that's my earliest memory, 6.4 exhaust leaks.  I've been noticing more and more with a leak between the turbos too, nothing I really noticed before recently. 

I still, if possible, prefer to pull the cab to do 6.4 exhaust manifolds.  Even a partial cab lift, anything for just a little more room.

I see lots of broken manifold bolts. I fixed one a few weeks ago, left side rear lower bolt broken off at the head of the bolt. After removing the manifold and extracting the bolt I discovered that it was previously drilled offcenter and crooked. By the time I had the remaining peice of the original bolt out the hole was 7/16 oval. I drilled down the center of a 1/2 inch bolt and threaded it 8mm. Then I cut it off to make a threaded insert, drilled and threaded the hole in the head to 1/2unc. I ran the insert into the head on the end of an 8mm bolt with it locked in place with a nut (red loctite on the outer threads). I was then able to reinstall the head with a straight and centered bolt hole. I wish I had a camera at work that day. Saved the owner several grand by not having to change the head.

• Like 1

The big problem was the last guy drilled it with the manifold on. That particular hole in the manifold is not a guide hole, so it is way oversized. Yes, a manifold re and re and the correct tools would have helped him ( and me) out a lot!