Odometer tampering

Rate this topic

To start, I'm not even sure how this is possible.

I had a 2011 6.7l truck towed in today. Customer bought it in Abbotsford yesterday, and is in transit back to Calgary, where he is from. It was running rough, and eventually shut down and would not restart. Has a bunch of dpf overtemp codes and soot accumulation and a P2073 and P2074. The odometer shows 84000 ish kms. The engine hours are in the 2600hours, which seems quite high, so I looked at the dist-total pid in the pcm. It shows 138000 ish kms, which better matches the engine hours.

Then I proceed to check warranty history. In may of 2013 it had its last fmpp service at 97000kms, and every fmpp service almost exactly at 8000kms prior to this. Every service was at the same dealer in northern alberta. In the "black screen" servhist shows in may of 2014 it had a used car inspection/ provincial inspection at 133000kms, again at the same dealer in alberta. 

This is where it gets really shady. This guy bought it private sale, but all the paperwork shows it belonged to a BC numbered company. The guy he bought it from said it has belonged to his company in Vancouver since new, yet its entire history is in northern alberta, and a quick look under verifies it has been on the oil patch.(although the frame has been recently sprayed gloss black) We are fairly certain he bought it from a crooked used car dealer. I am going to google the bc numbered company tomorrow and see what it actually is.

The question remains, how the hell did somebody modify the odometer? Would swapping a cluster do this? I thought the IC verified mileage against the pcm ,which appears to be correct at 138000 kms.

The best part is, the guy that sold it was having this problem before he sold it, and even told the purchaser that the CEL had come on and he had the codes cleared. The buyer was uneasy so they took it to a Dealer and had it scanned yesterday, but all it had was a P1000. Clear distance is currently 700km, and Abbotsford is just under 700km away.

Google "odometer correction tools". Pretty sad, actually.

Brought to you by the same collection of half-wits who "reset" crash codes in SRS modules.

Wow. I had a former service manager who would warranty out the clusters in her vehicles if she went over on her lease. I thought that was pretty special. Then she got fired for some other crooked stuff they caught her pulling.