What do you guys think about this IPR?

Rate this topic

04 E-350 ambulance that I've never worked on. Towed in for a shut off/no start but it started and ran fine for me. Had the obvious cam/crank codes and a P2290. I've seen more than a few P2290s caused by a contaminated IPR so I pulled it out. Not sure what I'm looking at here. There is metal on the screen in addition to a greenish brown material I can't identify. I've heard of the dorman oil cooler gasket but I need to find out if it possibly ever had one installed.

image.jpg

I did one of these in the fall. Jasper reman. Once I finally got it to quit I heard a high side leak down in the motor somewhere. Intermittent. Jasper sent me an engine.

Moral of my story. I couldn't duplicate it for the longest time.... Until I drove it like an ambulance going to an emergency. Pound the fuck out of it, come into the bay hot, and key it off like they do at the hosptal.

Presto! No start.

This one just shut off. Once it was back at the shop they messed around, checking filters and stuff like that, still wouldn't start so they towed it here. Of course it fires right up for me

It doesn't feel gritty like dirt I've seen from the oil cooler reservoir in the past. It's too consistent and it honestly reminds me of gasket material but I'm not sure where it came from. Whatever it is probably is in the reservoir though.

This ambo hasn't had any recent repairs, none whatsoever. If it ever had an oil cooler it would have been at least 3 years ago according to their shop guy.

I quoted them a pump, IPR, oil cooler reseal and I want to check the low pressure gerotor.

Also

I got the EOT up to 190 on the road test and my IPR% was still fine. Fired right up after I shut it off. I am also going to clean the cam sensor mounting area on the block too if they okay it

image.jpg

I took it off and all that stuff was underneath it (same stuff as on the screen) The o-ring did not appear deteriorated but I should have looked at it closer. There's no doubt whatever is on the screen was also passing through the screen, metal included. What I found under the screen easily could have stuck the IPR open.

The job isn't okay'd yet. I don't know what they're gonna do with this thing. I wish they'd junk this one and do the headgaskets on the other

Soft like pieces of gasket. I'm not sure what all is internal to the high pressure pump but I did not find anything that looked like that in the oil cooler reservoir or amongst any of the oil cooler gaskets.What I did find was a cracked high pressure oil pump body, debris in the oil reservoir plus a torn screen, also the oil cooler bypass valve is badly worn out and sitting crooked in the bore, notice the bottom of the valve in the third pic.

This thing does have a new style oil cooler element so it has had one in the past.  I am going to reseal it and clean everything out real well I just need to find a bypass valve.  There's a used 6.0 on the lot that's going to the auction.  I want to see if the GM will let me pull the old switcheroo. I am going to tear the pump apart just to see what's inside too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The shape of this thing has not ceased to amaze me, everything I look at is either wrong or broken in some way. I managed to figure out another trick removing the right valvecover with the intake out. Nice how it kind of just rolls right over the rocker box, no mount removal necessary.

Also found this gem. Water pump looking a little crusty so I yanked it out. Not only is it boring its way into the front cover it also is almost cavitated all the way out

image.jpg