VCM II Will Not Connect To IDS With A USB Cable Connection

Rate this topic

Sep 08 2014 5361-VCM II Will Not Connect To IDS With A USB Cable ConnectionSome Laptop computers may lack enough USB port power to boot up the VCM II. Forexample, VCM II appears to go through the proper boot up light sequence but fails to connect to IDS. In some cases a USB Port Not Recognized error message may be present on the laptop. If this occurs with a newly purchased laptop, use the following VCM II boot up procedure: connect VCM II DLC cable to a vehicle without connecting USB cable, allow VCM II to go through the 10 second boot up from vehicle power, connect USB cable from VCM II to the Laptop running IDS. If this issuccessful, the USB port on the laptop being used may not have sufficient USB power to boot up the VCM II. The Panasonic CF-53 or Dell Latitude E5440 are recommended by Ford. In the future Rotunda will be offering a Getac F110 Tablet configured specifically for use with IDS.

You have CF-18s at your shop? Very cool - Hornets are cool birds! I used to see them on the tarmac quite often at YXY ; )

Not my photo, but here's one on final approach into Whitehorse.

Posted Image

In all seriousness though, I'm finding it much more reliable to program modules wirelessly. Our tired Toughbooks are having a very hard time maintaining solid USB connections, and the movement of the cable in the port doesn't help the situation. I find that the wireless dongle is better when it comes to consistency. I made the switch from a hard wired connection after blanking a PCM on a 1/2 ton five or six months ago and I've had decent luck since.

Although Ford recommends not using wireless to reprogram modules or even wires internet to download cal files I use both 100% of the time without issues. Our shop used to have similar problems with cables and USB ports developing connection issues after years of heavy use