6.0 hard start cold

Rate this topic

2004 6.0 starts up cold and shuts off 3 to 4 times before it stays running. Runs fine with no issues until it sets a couple of days. Customer wanted oil cooler replaced. Noticed reservoir was only half full. Checked high pressure pump supply o-ring did not find any problems. Replaced o-ring and oil cooler. Veh has no problems starting hot and runs fine once started. Beleive reservoir is losing oil any ideas ?

This pump is the older round pump. The newer stc fitting does not apply to this truck. Brad you said you've had this concern before. Just want to be sure before I quote a pump. You have replaced pumps for a cold hard start, start and shut off 3-4 times before it stays running and no other running issues ? Do you know what in the pump causes this ? Just want to understand the problem if possible and not just be a parts re-placer.

• 6 months later...

I had one of these myself 2 weeks ago on that 03 F-550 bucket truck I pulled the engine out for headgaskets and a reseal.

They were complaining of a hard start, no start cold but I couldn't verify it.  Once the truck was dropped off it sat outside for 3 days before I had room to get it in.  That's when I verified it.  Start and shut off 3 times before it stayed running on the 4th try.  Luckily I had read this thread and it stuck in my mind. 

Managed to capture a half decent recording of the ICP while it happened but didn't see anything to condemn the pump for sure.  ICP was slow to build but that's about it.  Once the truck was in I got side tracked and I didn't get to working on it for another day.  Since the engine was coming out anyways I pulled all the front clip out, then the intake and the oil cooler to have a look.  Sure enough the reservoir was half drained, similar to what you'd see if you lifted the pump out first before removing the oil cooler. 

After having a look at all the pump O-rings I didn't see anything that could cause a leak down.  Put a new pump in it and the truck cold starts just fine now.  Thanks Brad :thumbup: