IDS 93 Issues

Rate this topic

Here I go again.  Downloaded IDS 93 today and installed it and it is supposed to include a VCM update. Now my laptop will not recognize my VCM... or any other VCM. Uninstalled 93 and reinstalled 92. Still won't recognize my VCM.

SIGH. :(

Only issue I had after installing 93 was when trying to perform interactive diagnosis in PPT KA on a 2012 F550, IE kept locking up because of script issues. Did it 6 times before it finally let me through the whole PPT. 

Keith, have you tried a hard reset on the VCM? There is a message about some laptops not having enough voltage at the USB port for VCM update. They recommend having the VCM connected to a vehicle before updating.

After I reinstalled 92 it was still dead. Tried it with the shop IDS - okay. So I had work to do and just let it sit. Later in the day I reinstalled the wireless  modules and for shits and giggles plugged my VCM into a truck. Started working again. Perhaps this is a clue. I'll wait until the weekend and try this again at home with a clear head and nothing to rush me. I'll disable the wireless and make sure that the settings also reflect that as well then verify that the VCM connects and communicates using the USB cable before updating to 93. ;)

I always like to wait a bit to update, if possible Ill wait until they do the first patch to make sure I do not have any issues.

Advantage is I have the ability to wait as Im not working on brand new stuff everyday.

Normally I am not so quick to update myself for similar reasons.

I tried this again this morning. Left it plugged in. I was able to go into the VCI  manager and connect this time and I was also able to update the VCM. worked fine as far as the connections are concerned. I figured okay. Great!  So I started IDS and plugged the VCM into a truck and... nothing. Wireless or wired.

I've had a few problems over the years when updating. Now, whenever there is a major update, I always uninstall the current IDS and run the "IDS Clean Tool". Then I install the new version of IDS. Never had a problem this way...

Call it a cowinkidink ::tongue:: but the last time I downloaded a full IDS file at work I had problems. I brought my laptop home, uninstalled IDS 93 and then reinstalled it with a fresh download from home. wired and wireless it works like a charm from the word go. Sometimes I have to learn the hard way more than once!