upper Rad hose collapse and ECT code

Rate this topic

hey guys

I have an odd one here, we have seen 3 others exactly like it in the past few weeks and are stumped. the upper rad hose on the 6.7 is completely collapsed (like you were to pull a vacuum on the cooling system) then we get a code for ECT because the sensor is not submerged in coolant due to the collapsed upper hose. asked a few guys at ford school if they have seen this or what the cause could be and even the teacher was scratching his head. just wondering if anyone else has seen this and what could be causing it?

we have been changing the upper hose and the degas bottle caps and have not seen any of the trucks return

thanks

Chris

6.7 upper hose collapse.jpg

6.7 upper hose.jpg

I could see a bad cap doing this, if it wasn't allowing air back into the system when the coolant temp. dropped. Or allowing the system to bleed with out leaving the cap loose.

I've seen a few like this as well. That hose collapses very easily, the vacuum created by the temperature drop overnight will collapse it. Depending on what year it is, the ect codes are usually caused by using the block heater. A reprogram will take care of that.

same here, lots of our trucks tend to do that once setting overnight. My personal truck does this as well and its a Job1 2011.

Never had a coolant concern so I have not attempted repair on any of them yet