attn: bruce amacker metal in filter update

Rate this topic

This will also pertain to everyone else here but a superior of mine asked bruce about this and him and myself had no clue what he was talking about.

Fdny contacted fmc about this and i saw this on one of my nypd trucks this morning. Truck has 4200 miles.

Fmc responded with a statement saying its fine and the filters will catch it. I have this letter but need to block names and addresses first of you want to see it. Fmc claims its from the fuel cooler and frp fitting during its production.

1222140733.jpg

Rob:  Thanks for the update.  This is a wrecker, right? Does it have an OE or aftermarket fuel tank?

(IH has a pattern failure with debris in their aluminum tanks (from the supplier's machining process) getting in the fuel system and doing massive damage. Yes, the filters "should" catch it, but on IH's it's not catching it.  My guess is the sharp edges of the chips cut through the filter paper under pressure and minor vibration from the pump)

For grins, did you check the hours and idle hours?  Just curious, not that it matters.....

Sorry about the news in Brooklyn, that must have been right nearby. :(

Thanks and yes it was only a few minutes from where you had come to teach. We are doubling up personal on everything we do for now.

And the new wreckers are using the oem tank, our older models used after markets. This truck has 4023 miles, 912 hours total and 592 are idle

I cut the upper filter open and also found this

1222140912.jpg

We have our own fill stations approx 15 in all, and the fdny has more tanks and a different fuel supplier.

The material was analyzedby us, the fdny, us and fmc analyzed as well its in the letter from fmc, comes back as nickel and aluminum. The grey is the way my phone refelcted the light , its just the bottom of the filter