"Blue spring" fuel repair

Rate this topic

I have never done this repair personally but have seen it done on youtube (diesel tech Ron). I have a truck in right now that has a fuel leak coming from the gasket on the supply tube plate and I was considering selling the "blue spring" fuel update at the same time because I will be in there already.

was this a TSB back then?

is there anything written about it by ford?

a how to install manual in the box?

does anyone have any words of advice or tips or trick on doing this?

thanks always

Chris

No TSB or SSM but it's a known fact the regulator will boost fuel pressure at idle around 10-15 psi. The health of the HFCM will determine if its able to keep up with wot fuel consumption.

I try to upsell the kit any time I am in one for injectors, coolers or any other major repair. I would definitely sell one for a keyhole gasket leaking

There are different kits available depending on what engine an application you are working on. 6.0L F-Series, 6.0L Econoline, 4.5L LCF. The different kits contain different housing covers and minor hardware differences. All unnecessary.The only kit you need for any of these engines  6E7Z-9C165-B  which contains the spring, regulator valve, seat insert, air bleed orifice, the o-rings and four bolts. You do not need to replace the cover unless of course you damaged it somehow.

This is what I use in class and my book with a different PN, I wonder what the difference is- the casting? I bought this several years ago and it was an IH 1843065C98 rebagged.  You can read the IH number through the packaging. It was pricey, like $80 IIRC.Posted Image

Course Code:51RNDTBL.

Course Title:6.0L Diesel Roundtable

Description:The content of this Roundtable is designed to provide a disciplined approach to 6.0L Diesel Engine driveability diagnosis.

.Delivery Method:Classroom

I always like to torque bolt that are sealing a fluid passage point especially. cant find any info in the WSM for a torque spec on the four T-27 plate bolts. it just says remove the bolt then at the end of the procedure it says "reverse the procedure to install"

is there a torque spec?

or just snug them and recheck for leaks when completed?

It's not unusual for torque specs to be missing in shop manuals, I see it regularly. There are generic torque charts for both metric and standard threads, I have them printed and hanging on the wall at the shop for times like this. I've also written the common lug nut torques on them.

As for the length of the spring, it has little to do with the relief pressure. It's more to do with pressure than length. Stretching the spring will increase the pressure and therefore fuel pressure though.

:grin:

well I decided to just snug up the t-27 bolts with my 1/4 inch ratchet and no more leaks. the only thing I had a little trouble with was the cold side plastic CAC tube. no matter what I did I couldn't get the plastic tube off either the charge air cooler or the manifold elbow. I ended up removing the four 8mm bolts from the elbow and just positioning the upper half of the tube to the side so I had full access to the pressure regulator cover plate.

other than that it was very simple and straight forward.

thanks for the help guys

Chris

I always like to torque bolt that are sealing a fluid passage point especially. cant find any info in the WSM for a torque spec on the four T-27 plate bolts. it just says remove the bolt then at the end of the procedure it says "reverse the procedure to install" is there a torque spec? or just snug them and recheck for leaks when completed?

Ditto. You can even use a hand held propane torch 8 or 10 inches away from the opening to warm the plastic tube up.

As for the length of the spring, it has little to do with the relief pressure. It's more to do with pressure than length. Stretching the spring will increase the pressure and therefore fuel pressure though.  :grin:

Before the updated blue spring replacing the regulator spring would not gain any pressure with out stretching.Did you notice the blue spring is longer and a heavier spring?