Lift Safety

Rate this topic

We had a guy get his foot caught under this lift and he was not near the controls to get the lift off his foot........and he was by himself after work. Thought I would demonstrate how such a thing could happen.

http://youtu.be/4Y80arH8zWw

• Like 1

Wow, that's a great way to smash pop cans, and to think I've been stomping on them this whole time!

Really, as life goes on I pay attention more to safety stuff. Even when I had the retail shop I was very safety conscious, always wearing glasses when using air tools and grinders, etc, and harping constantly on my guys to do the same. I would blow my lid and threaten termination when I saw unsafe practices by the guys.

Now I have a hobby shop with a lift and work alone all the time. I always wear glasses even if I'm not working, work safely and always have a phone in my pocket. 5 10lb fire extinguishers in a 1700sf shop. Use a lot of PPE stuff- respirator when grinding, facemask, etc.

I tend to use a torque wrench more, too. Maybe I'm grown up now.....

:grin:

But maybe not.

I always wondered if anyone was to do that with the drive on racks. did that guy have to sleep with his foot under the rack or was he lucky enough to have his phone close by?

I often stay at work late by myself but am careful what Im doing.  It wouldnt take much to get hurt and lay there until the morning when the other guys show up....

Only by the Grace of God, was this fellow spared more pain and agony. As it happens a co-worker had forgot something on his tool box and drove back to the shop to get it. He was quite surprised and scared to here someone in the back screaming bloody murder at the top of their lungs for help. He took the fellow to the hospital and the victim's life has been altered ever since by a not so properly functioning foot.