broken/stuck glow plug harness (econoline)

Rate this topic

im doing a glow plug on the left head of a E-350 school bus. the glow plug harness has snapped off the butt end of the connector and now im left with a stump of a connector boot that remains lodged in the glowplug hole.

my question is... is there access on the inside of the head (remove the valve cover) to where I could pop it out from the inside?

anyone have any good tricks for this type of situation?

thanks

I usually soak it in penetrating fluid for a few hours first. You can try heating the tip of a pick and melting it into the plug and let it cool then try pop it out. You can remove the valve cover and pop it put that way. I use my big channel locks for that way.

Corrosion of the glow plug connector bore is what prevents the o-ring from sliding out thus locking the connector / plug from coming out. I also recommend soaking in penetrating oil, doing this on a hot engine AND exercise patience. Try to "work" the plug out of the head instead of applying brute force and breaking the connector or the wiring straight off. 

When they break on me, I chip away at the plastic until I can pick out the o-ring, then the connector comes out.  In the past, I have removed the valve cover and the oil rail to push a broken connector out from the inside. I have not had to in a very long time though.

Corrosion in the bore also prevents the new harness from being seated easily too. I always try and scotchbrite or sand paper the bore to make it smooth again. If you ever have to remove the harness again it makes it a lot easier.

Awesome thanks guy I really appreciate it... Will let you know on Monday... They trickey part is that it's on the left head so you can't get at them through the wheel well like if it was on the right side. On the plus side I had to replace the #6 injector so I have the valve cover and oil rail already off... Do I need to remove the injectors in order to pop the butt of the harnis out? What's the best way to do it ( someone mentioned channel lock on the harnis butt and the other end on the outside edge of the head and squeeze forcing the harnis out)

Okay well I put another solid 8 hrs into this job and I managed to get ONE glow plug butt out of the bore! I removed the valve cover/oil rail and injectors got a seal puller tried my hardest to push the butt ends out of the bore but they won't even budge. I got a right angle air drill and drilled holes into the edge of the butt until I cut through the o-ring and was able to pull out the harniss.

Now for the next problem.. The two middle plugs have no room at all. I can't get the drill between the head and the side walls of the van chassis. I pulled the left side engine mount out and lowered the engine (not enough room) then I jacked the engine up as high as it could go (still not enough room to get a pick/hammer or a drill on the butt of the harniss) I'm so fed up with this school bus I don't even know how I'm going to get the last two harnis butts out.

Anyone have any last ideas for my current situation? Would greatly appreciate it

well after a staggering 14hrs all four glow plug boots have been extracted. I was able to get a right angle drill on the glowplug boot after removing the left engine mount and jacking the engine up so it leaned more towards the middle (where the most room is). I drilled down the edge of the bore until I cut the o-ring. once the o-ring was severed I was able to put a small "lady slipper" hooked prybar on the inside of the head and push out the boot. it was very frustrating and took an insane amount of time but if I ever have to do this again on the left head I will certainly drill it again. I tried many approaches (which is why it took so much time to complete) before I had no choice but to try the right angle drill.

thanks for the help guys