Lower Oil Pans

Rate this topic

So what is with the buzz on the composite pans being replaced for leaks and such?  I have yet to see one leaking. I DID just have a customer in that had his replaced at an outside shop, I think because they screwed up the drain plug. I comes back to my dealer because the new metal one they installed is dripping.  Well, lets be accurate here. The SEALNT failed to adhere to the upper pan. No warranty on a workmanship concern. I let these things sit overnight with the pan removed to drip out the oil until it stops dripping. THEN prepare the sealing surface, apply new sealant and reinstall. You also need to allow the sealant to partially cure or "skin over" solidly before refilling the crankcase with oil. The sealant instructs you to wait at least one hour but I give it more if I can. This one got 5 hours. I do not know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

I've had several students tell me their "drivers" have busted plastic pans in the field. Seeing how the core support and axle are lower than the pan it makes me think they were really bajaing in the forest to get tree branches or something poked up in there to break the pans.  If you're romping a $50K truck that hard you deserve what you get.

Anyway, as far as RTV goes, this is 7.3 days all over again. Bone dry, brakeclean, let it set up, nothing new here. At least it's a lot easier than a 7.3 if you have to do it twice.......

:grin:

The composite oil pan gasket is no longer available from Ford. If you go to the parts counter and order a gasket.....a new metal oil pan will show up at the counter the next day.

I have a document in the works with part numbers and such, 

I wish they'd make a formed gasket similar to a trans pan gasket for these things. I had to r&r a metal pan for drain plug thread damage and basically ruined the old pan sealing surface removing it. I was installing a new one anyways but for one you'd plan on saving forget it.

Maybe Felpro will come out with one

A lot easer? It couldn't get any easier as afar as accessibility is concerned. Its more a matter of patience and procedure. LOL! 7.3L days. I watched a few get resealed a second time.

I got to practice a second time on one. At home none the less.

My parts department has some special people in there........I will be following up on this and finding out what went wrong on our end. I asked for a gasket......all I wanted was a gasket. :facepalm:

Alright, I got to the bottom of this here dealy. If you look up a lower pan gasket for a 2011....then you will get a gasket 6710-B. If however you look up a gasket for a 2012...then you will get a note that says use RTV silicone.

I had a truck with a build date of 2012 but the engine was built in 2011 so I still had a composite pan. I didn't think to look back one year model so I just updated the pan and the bolts. My pan was chock full of metal anyhow from a grenaded engine, so it worked out better on my end.

Sorry for jumping the gun and posting incorrect information. If there is anything that bugs me, it's disinformation on the web. I try not to be a part of such goings on.

I swapped mine to the metal pan out of annoyance of the plastic drainplug.

Have not come accross one leaking yet but I have had a couple of our trucks at other dealers get a pan replaced for a "leak" one of which was made worse by using black silicone! :haha2: