Dana 60 Quality Control

Rate this topic

Anybody see strange failures with the front axle assemblies? I just finished up a 2012 F550 where the ring gear bolts were never torqued. All of them backed out and a few scraped up the case and broke out taking out the gear set. Took 58,000 miles to break.  My companion in the shop was telling me he had a truck where the differential bearing caps were MISSING. We have also seen missing front axle universal joints missing the retaining clips causing u-joint failure.  Not what I have come to expect after all these years.

I had a 2014 f-550 (high rail conversion) large pinion bearing fail, pinion moved back from the carrier far enough to strip all the gears off the pinion and most off the crown gear. Unlike yours, mine was caused by a tire shop putting the wrong size front tires on it. Apparently the weak point is the front diff. I would have put my money on the t-case first, but it was fine. Lasted about 100km in 4x4 on snowy roads.