CVT Helicopter Noise

Rate this topic

Well, I WAS warned. :(

My 2007 Freestyle is making the helicopter noise in Park and Neutral with 66,000 miles. I am trying to figure out what the best way to approach this financially. Try fixing it, trade it in or drive it until it fails and then install an expensive reman or junk it. We love this car. I am freaking out to say the least because on top of this my Explorer is all used up as well.

So, has anyone here had any experience with this? Fixing these CVT transmissions or know how long I might expect this to last? I am researching this and I read a lot about input shafts and bearings. The unit operates fine otherwise.

When I worked next to the trans guy he did the tsb for a noise at idle on an 2006 cvt and it did not fix it, he called the hotline and they got him to look at the flat roller bearings. Sorry this information might be a bit vague but what I can remember from this is that a six dollar bearing fixed his transmission noise.

I've done a few of them. It's been a few years since the last one. But I do remember that everyone of them had a bunch of pitting on the inside of the input shaft where the bearing rides. But all in all it wasn't a huge deal to fix them.

Bearings is what I am reading... Ran my VIN on OASIS and did not get any SSMs or TSBs. One thing I have found on line is that there has been a class action suit files against Ford for CVT owners of 500, Freestyles.

I have replaced the bearings in a few units. It's a pretty straight forward job, the trans comes out like usual and as long as you have the tool kit to separate the case and hold the variators and stuff, then your good to go. Not too many gaskets just a bunch of orings and little tubes that seal the mechatronix to the case. Caution some are different lengths, don't ask. :rolleyes:

Which bearings brad? ALL of them? Even though the symptom points to the input shaft I am advised that some of the other bearings can and do go as well. The seal kit from what I understand is pricy and it contains all of the bolts needed for reassembly. Originally aluminum I understand replacements are steel.

We have a tech here that says he has done a few of these so I am getting good advice. I don't think anyone else in our shop has done one. We don't see too many and they are unfixable most of the time.

Any bad shaft bearings are super easy to spot whilst inspecting them. If she's got some miles on her and they aren't to pricey then all of them may be the way to go.

All the ones I did were under warranty and you know how that goes, it gets what's bad and that's it. I tried to cost cap a couple and man was that impossible. Getting a complete unit never happened.

This will be on my dime. I quoted out a unit as a worst case scenario. $4,603 with tax. Labor for free of course. My plan is to do all of the bearings as I have heard that its not always/only the input shaft.

I found the TSB - attached. Not for 2007 Models but I cant see it not being applicable... or at least it's good for the basic part numbers. Scenario 1 is what I am dealing with. So the obvious repair here is input shaft and bearing, filters, seal/bolt kit and fluid.

tsb06-11-04.pdf