Stand tube O-rings

Rate this topic

Anyone out there having problems with the stand tube and stand tube plugs burning off the o-rings on the 4.5? I have had about 3 of these in the past month. Its not one either its usally both plugs on and sometimes even the stand tubes. I even had a plug on the left side where the ICP would be loose and the o-ring ripped to peices. Most of the time I am getting a no start when hot. I wish I would have snapped pictures of the last one I had. Seems to only been on engines with over 40k miles

Not on the 4.5L but on the 6.0L we have recently seen some block-off tube o-rings coming apart. The tech who worked on this ended up accessing all injectors and the HPOP looking for a failed seal and everything was perfect, except the plugs on BOTH heads we he and I OVERLOOKED! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif We both know better. We got lazy. We got beaten on that job. Now when I access a head looking for a leak I will remember to check everything no matter how routine it gets. Complacency is painful and it's a lesson learned in time.

Cool avatar! Your Truck?

I did the same on the first one i worked on. i totally over looked it, not to mention it had to be the right engine temp and to act up. I air checked it and never heard or saw anything. If you performed the air check after the engine was hot i was able to find the leak. now I almost always just pull them out to check. Its weird since I havent come across one on a F-series yet. Oh and dont you just love the monstrosity of an oil rail on those 4.5s!

yeah thats my bronco in my avatar.

I have had both F-series and LCF's with the o-rings torn on the stand pipe and plug More LCF's than SD.

Any no start I get check fuel bowl, monitor ICP pressure ,if its low during crank I keep a good ICP in my tool box to swap to rule out a biased ICP, then air test next no point in wasting time .

Gotta love that air pressure test man /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif saves lots of hours hunting.

my personal rule is if the rails coming off it gets new rings period, I got enough teeth marks on my a$$ to last a lifetime I wont let $5 worth of o-rings add to them