6.4L rad install (1st one, tips/tricks/times)

Rate this topic

so I have my first left side tank crimp leak on a 6.4L. I have done plenty of 6.7L for the same leak point but this is my first 6.4.

any advise? tips? tricks? retail time?

thanks for the help

Chris

Pop out the 2 plastic alignment pins on the upper support, it comes off easier. Don't touch anything on the fan shroud except the 4 bolts that attach it to the rad, once you have the rad loose and ready to come out just pry up on the shroud to lift it off the rad. Real time: I have them done to 1.5 hours. Retail I believe is about 3.5 hrs. You can choose to leave the A/C intact, but you will need someone to help you lift the rad past the condenser. I like to have the A/C evacuating while I take other stuff off, it is usually done before its time to remove the condenser, then I charge the system while bleeding the cooling system. If you have no issues with a 6.7L rad then this will be a cake walk.

I lay the condensor on top of the engine without disconnecting the lines.  I only remove the cold side CAC duct, and tilt the CAC forward, leaving the hot side tube attached.  Not including draining and filling, it takes me under an hour.

I haven't done one in a while but many things can simply be "peeled" away and moved aside and or left in place as Leon stated.  I simply pull the condenser forward a little, make enough room to lift the radiator straight up. It's light but quite wide so depending on how big of a guy you are, getting someone to help lift it out can make things go easier - same goes for putting the new one in.

I did exactly what alex said and just positioned the a/c condenser to the side and pinned it back with a bungee cord. had the whole job done in under an hour. charged 3.5hrs (found the book time)

IMG_1303.jpg