Windows 10

Rate this topic

I am sure that some if not all of you have been seeing the free Windows upgrade icon on your system tray. (all white windows logo on the bottom right) Apparently Microsoft has "fixed" what people have been unhappy with on Windows 8 and made a lot of bug fixes. It replaces all Windows 7 and Windows 8 versions except Enterprise from what I understand and will be available for downloading on July 29, 2015. I would be happy to hear anyone's experiences with upgrading and using Win 10 when you do. All of my PC's and laptops are eligible.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

I have it too. Talked to my boss and he suggests holding off on the install until it's confirmed PTS and IDS are compatible. He says Ford claims to be on track with this but is a little leery on that. 

I have it too. Talked to my boss and he suggests holding off on the install until it's confirmed PTS and IDS are compatible. He says Ford claims to be on track with this but is a little leery on that. 

no plans to switch until I know IDS will be campatible with it

no plans to switch until I know IDS will be compatible with it

I asked hotline and they state that windows 10 has not been tested yet. Going to download but not install.

The hard drive on my laptop has 4 partitions, one is used as a recovery drive that was set up by ASUS, so I don't think it's going to be an issue. Plus if you don't like or want to continue with W10 you can go into installed updates and remove it, it will keep the previous OS intact. 

• 10 months later...

I have been running Windows 10 for the last week. All work based functions are normal. No issues there. Only had to update a my touch pad drivers to get it to work.

• 1 month later...

So...the last week has been very interesting. All the personal laptops in the shop are now auto-updating to Windows 10. If you don't uninstall IDS and return the license first, which they couldn't because they had no warning, there may be communication issues with the VCM. Guess what, none of them worked after the update and everyone had to re-install IDS, problem is the licensing site has been down and no-one can get their software validated. Two of our shop computers updated with out any notice and our owner had to go and turn off auto updates on the rest. Plus, to make matters worse, the Inford site, not so much PTS, but the sales side of things, has been having issues with Windows 7 and 10 as well.

PTS works, if you open "edge" put in the url, then get the warning it's not IE.  Then go to the 3 dot menu button and tell it to open the url in IE.

Ive been running W10 since it first came out.  First version was a bit buggy, when it upgraded W10 to version 1511, it's been fine. 

I kept warning our secretary/bookkeeper about the W10 upgrade, she kept saying NO to the popup box (running 8.1).  Then, last Friday, while doing payroll, it promptly shut down, and started the black screen with "configuring WIndows 10.   She was totally freaked out. It only Her accounting software is working. 

You do have to remember to go into settings and disable things you don't want, ads, sharing, location, if you don't want Cortana, you have to tell it so.  There's also many default "app" or program settings that need to be changed.  Sometimes repeatedly.  After updates, my defaults and privacy settings were changed.

I found my labor guide software needed to be re-licensed, as the change in operating system disabled it.  Windows 10 will also disable and completely remove any software that won't run within it.  Any data needs to be backed up if you don't want to lose things.

I took the plunge and upgraded my IDS laptop to windows 10 from 7. It is now working as it should, though at first I didn't have the ability to connect to the VCM wirelessly. Turns out the A and B version of the D-link dongles are not windows 10 compatible. Once I replaced both the laptop AND the vcm D-links with the newer "E" version I now have full functionality as I did with Win 7. I did have to download and install the D-link driver for the E version, but that's no big deal and you can get that online. Just don't forget to return your IDS software license and uninstall IDS and the Bosch software as per Fords instructions before doing the upgrade. That was a couple weeks ago when I got that all sorted out and I haven't had any problems with 10 since. I still have internet explorer pinned to the desktop instead of Edge for the sake of fmcdealer compatibility.

• Like 1

It's been out a year now and a few tweaks have been done to it. I am running 10 on 4 computers, two I "upgraded" with minor issues and two I installed "clean" on a freshly wiped hard drive including my work laptop. My personal opinion is that 10 is the best windows yet. The complaints about issues with regard to upgrading are valid but in my opinion, self inflicted - you need to be prepared for the event with regard to applications and saved data. You also need to know that a Windows 10 upgrade CAN be rolled back in most cases. I think the problem with "company" computers is that the users are locked out from administrator privileges and cannot make changes or install software which leads me to question how Windows 10 could autonomously install itself without administrator permission. The answer likely lies with the fact that if you have Windows update on Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 set to ‘install all recommended updates’, which many will do, the Windows 10 upgrade will automatically download to a user’s computer and install automatically.  Computers are not toys, they do require at little knowledge, oversight and maintenance.

Just sayin.   :coffee:

I took the plunge and upgraded my IDS laptop to windows 10 from 7. It is now working as it should, though at first I didn't have the ability to connect to the VCM wirelessly. Turns out the A and B version of the D-link dongles are not windows 10 compatible. Once I replaced both the laptop AND the vcm D-links with the newer "E" version I now have full functionality as I did with Win 7. I did have to download and install the D-link driver for the E version, but that's no big deal and you can get that online.

I never had an issue with the D-Link dongles with regard to Windows 10. Mine worked flawlessly right up until I installed the last major IDS update to version. My laptop still sees the adapter and the network but IDS will not recognize the VCM at all wirelessly. Where did you source the "E" Version of the D-Links? Model Number??? :)

I am thinking of first trying a total removal of IDS, resetting my VCM and installing the latest version clean. I miss my wireless!

I have been using my "B" version dongle with no issues on my Windows 10 laptop, except for the occasional few days where there is a lot of interference and they won't work, as have the other 4 techs with them. I am interested in the "E" version because they are supposed to be a lot more stable than the "B" due to the use of multiple channels. You must tell us where you got them because I can't find them. We have found a similar dongle DWA 171 which uses 3 channels, but I can't get a hold of our instructor to see if they will work, and at $60 a piece, we are not going to chance it. 

Heads up for those that get into PATS functions. The new procedure that uses your FMC/ INFORD access to bypass the 10 minute security wait will use EDGE as the default browser to access PTS. This does not work. You have to go into IE options/programs/internet programs and set IE as the default browser.

I installed this so my pc does not decide to update to windows 10 https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

yep we did that to every computer in our shop....We are the only department running without computer issues now that windows 10 decided to ram down everyone's throats all by itself

Most likely too late to post this now, but there must be a few left that haven't made the jump to 10 yet. Go through your system and list all the stuff that would typically need the occasional driver update, ie: printers/scanners, video cards, sound cards, wireless cards. Go to the product website BEFORE you update. MOST of them will instruct you to remove the current driver, sometimes requiring a downloadable uninstall tool, download the new  driver, then update Windows and install new driver after.  Thus is the case for my work printer, I can't find the drivers to uninstall and there is no Windows 10 uninstall tool available...

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered mine this morning because I lost 1 of the D-links(I think it got left in my uniform cargo pocket :banghead:

Do I understand that these new one's should have better range?

Well I hope it works better because my old one sometimes wouldn't even reach to under the hood. This is a real pain when running active commands & it would start messing up. My signal would usually show good but it would still lose connection, my AM scan tool with Bluetooth has over twice the range.