FICM buzzing

Rate this topic

Just replaced a turbo on an '06 today. Recalibrated modules to the latest level. After post repair road test, I noticed the buzzing of the FICM for at least another 20 or so seconds after key off. Is this normal? Is there something I should be aware of?

Ah Ha! I guess TSB 06-22-03 is not as well known as we thought even though it affects every reflash you will perform from here on out. The TSB introduces a new FICM strategy that cycles the injector spool valves for 30 seconds after shut down. This is to remove the oil from the valves to reduce the likelihood of them sticking because of cold, thick oil during start-up. This is something the Ford engineers have been calling stiction.

May I suggest you log onto FMC dealer and read the TSB? Performing a module reflash on any Econoline requires a wiring modification as well. We have only touched on this a little here, see this topic.

Thanks, I just figured this out after reading the other posts. It was an F-series. Do I still need to "modify" wiring? I only did the reprogram as a "habit". I'm the only Ford Diesel cerified tech in our shop. We don't see too many trucks. But, I've gotten into the habit of checking for PCM updates when they come into the shop for any driveability issues. Thanks again.

I do strongly recommend that you read the TSB but the F-Series does not require any modifications. The TSB also includes a customer information sheet that is perfect for making photocopies of so that YOU can leave one in the truck for the owner. Trust me, they will appreciate being told about this injector cycling.

One more point I should make concerning reflashing ANY PCM in ANY vehicle; In the US, I am not sure about Canada, Ford will not pay any warranty claims for module reprogramming on 2006 and newer vehicles UNLESS directed by a recall, SSM, TSB or HotLine Engineer's instructions. Otherwise, you and your dealer are not gettin paid! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

I just read the TSB. Thanks for the heads up. That looks like a bullshit procedure, disassembling the wiring on E-series. As if wiring chafing issues aren't bad enough on E-series.

Mike.... if I can be bold enough to make a suggestion.... broadcast messages.... I download these every morning, read them while the first pot of coffee is brewing and post them on the corkboard in the coffee room.... Broadcast messages can be a wealth of information (and information is our friend)... from changes in a TSB procedure to finding extra labour ops we can cost out.

Broadcast messages are, often, Fords way of saying "heads up, gents!!"....

OASIS.... I try to get my guys to run OASIS on about every job they get.... One tech spent over 2 hours diagnosing a transfer case shift motor concern only to find out that the TSB pays about .6... add that service history can be valuable in achieving customer satisfaction. I have one tech that spends an almost inordinate amount of time in front of the terminal.... and he consistantly posts higher efficiency ratings than any other tech....

I'm sure that you seen me say it on other venues.... we have some great resources available to us.... it is important that we learn what these resources are, where we can find them and to use them to our benefit....

A lot of guys close the toolbox a 5:00 and don't look back.... Kind of odd when the state of the art is in the middle of a tremendous change and really odd when we consider that this is how we clothe and feed our families.... Some of our personal time spent learning our craft is not out of line... this commitment is what will separate us from techs that are merely adequate... or worse....

I am far from the sharpest pencil in the box.... I'm a grade 8 drop-out.... I make a nearly obscene amount of money because I can honestly say "I don't know... but I will find out...".

Play with your toys when you get the chance.... establish "baseline" datalogger readings to learn to recognize anything "odd" more readily.... Establish a rapport with your local tech training facility instructor... Talk to the hotline guys (not everything they say is 'gold' but it can often get you thinking)....

HTH

I just read the TSB. Thanks for the heads up. That looks like a bullshit procedure, disassembling the wiring on E-series. As if wiring chafing issues aren't bad enough on E-series.

Its not bad, It looks worse than it really is. Once you figure out what wires you need to splice and rewire it goes pretty quick. Just make sure you take your time on the first one. there are several circuits with the same wire color and tracer so be sure on your circuits.