2002 7.3L - P1211 ICP above/below desired

Rate this topic

Hey guys, need some help please

I've got a 2002 7.3L with manual transmission, sets a check engine light with DTC P1211 when engine is under load. It recently had fuel injectors(FORD reman) and IDM replaced.

Here are some of my findings. Monitor pids and found ICP to drop 900psi under load with IPR pinned at 65%. I blocked off cylinder heads to isolate banks, starts on left bank but won't start on right bank. Fuel pressure OK. Dead head HPOP 4000psi.Note cylinder 3 has PERDEL 2.4 slightly high side. Remove RHS valve cover and note INJ 1 dumping oil. Replace injector 1 and recheck same concern present.

Any other ideas, thank you for your time.

Matthys

Update: I've gone ahead and replace ICP sensor and IPR valve. Road tested and verified ICP drop, pulled over and checked oil reservoir OK with no aeration. Overfilled engine with 6L of oil and jacked up back end to check for possible cracked pick up tube.

Concern still present.... :banghead:

If it starts on the left bank but not the rt, you have a leak in the right bank. Pull the VC and run it and see if anything leaks abnormal. Look for oil in fuel at the FF (center o-ring leaking on injector will cause oil in fuel), or pull the FP plug at the left head by the turbo and take a sample there, or tap FP at that plug and see if it jumps up when you power brake it or run the IPR command up (indicating HP oil leaking into the fuel rail from a center o-ring leaking on an injector).  7.3 gen 2s don't return fuel to the tank from the heads so color sampling is tougher at the FF. Or, air test the right head at the hose inlet (1/2 NF thread, use a Weatherhead 7897, AKA 5/16" inverted male, you'll need a gasket for the bottom) and see if it holds pressure.

It sounds like your problem is in the right head.  If this doesn't pan out, put a LPOP gauge on the plug in the top of the reservoir (or the side of the block)  and go for a ride to verify LPOP isn't falling off from gunk in the pickup screen under load (seen it, especially if someone changed the pan). Verify your ICPV is dropping off and use that over ICP in ANY HP problem on ANY HEUI engine. 7.3s have been known to substitute a known good number in ICP when it drops off, but ICPV will always be more honest.

Good Luck, call me if you need help. 440-846-3885

:grin:

• Like 1

I think when he replaced the injector that fixed the no-start on one bank? I was assuming it did since he moved on to replacing other parts and over-filling on oil?

SUCCESS, thank you for your input!!!!! :partay:

Did some further digging, check base oil pressure within spec, check oil pressure both banks approximately the same, check reservoir screen not restricted OK. Remove HPOP and found pump has spun :coffee: Hopefully I can attach photos successfully.

spun-hpop.jpg

spun-hpop2.jpg