Cab and chassis fuel filler neck metal elbow?

Rate this topic

Matt Saunoras

Anyone ever ran across this? An 03 F-550 bucket truck that has a fuel leak. Found the metal elbow rusted through on the fuel filler neck.

Does anyone know if this was once a factory part? Finding hose is not an issue, it's the bends that are a problem.

image.jpg

Matt that pipe along with maybe another one or two in different shapes along with hoses and clamps and maybe a mount for the filler, all come in a bag from the factory when the truck is new. The bag is a kit for the body upfitters to install the fuel filler as needed. I do know the kit is available... if your counterperson can find it. I recall ordering one once or twice. This applies to all F-series and E-series cab and chassis/cutaway.

Stainless exhaust tubing and filler neck hose? I sealed the pipe to the rubber with a hefty dose of RTV. We'll see if it holds. The pipe ends almost touch inside the hose. I doubt it can pull apart, but I'm mainly concerned if it leaks or not.

image.jpg

Yeah I wondered about that. This was that dark gray RTV that comes in the caulking tube. It is a diesel too if it matters. I would have welded the middle except I'm not comfortable with welding stainless.

I service this truck regularly and with the way its rusting out I've got a feeling it may need a tank in the near future. I'll keep a close eye on it

I coated that bare tubing in some PM-13-A last night before I left.

Also took a hardened piece of that RTV and I'm soaking it in a sample of diesel fuel to see how it reacts. No change after a few hours this morning.

The aftermarket portion of working on these trucks can really suck up time. This area is tough though, these guys don't have any options for service.