My Latest Project

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Many of you have shared some of your hobbies and interests and I have enjoyed reading about all of them! So keep sharing because it is nice to get to know more about the people you interact with. With that said, I would like to share a project that has taken me several years to compile and publish. It is also a family legacy kinda thing that I always knew about but in my research uncovered much more than I expected.

http://www.unitpuzzles.com

Those are some neat old puzzles - the craftsmanship is something rarely seen in consumer products these days.

Keeping with the theme of interests and hobbies, here's what I've been up to lately.

Picked up an old post pounder a while back and finally hooked it up to see if she's functional. Turns out she is. I pounded some posts in which became the 'foundation' of a chicken run. Wifey and I took an old shed and did it up as the coop - spray foam, electrical, nesting boxes, partition fencing/gate and so on. We grabbed 18 6-week old pullets/cockerels to fill the place (here's hoping for more girls than guys). It's also home to a pair of fresh barn kittens - keeping mice away from the feed and whatnot. Fun times.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For giggles we sometimes wander over to the neighbour's bison herd. The bull on the left was pretty ornery the other day - grunting and pawing and generally being a pain.

Posted Image

• Like 1

There are actually several modern puzzle makers making excellent hand cut jigsaw puzzles today. Some I would say are exquisite!  

I am now in the process of learning to restore old puzzles and replacing missing pieces which may lead to trying to learn how to make  puzzles. If I succeed and can pull it off I have time... perhaps to make a bunch of puzzles and release them for a 100 year edition. This is just a wild thought at the moment but not far fetched at all. I can source the wood, but I need to find suitable images printed on suitable paper and figure out how to properly press them.  The press my grandfather used was never kept. I do have one original jigsaw, a wood sample and hundreds of the blades.  

Teaching keeps me really busy most of the year but winters are usually slow. The last two winters I restored an old VW bus, here's the Cliff Notes version:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I did all the mud and paint myself and it's turned out great, especially since I'm not a bodyman. 200+ hours of mig welding, I kept a tally and have 1008 hours total in the restoration.  The only thing I didn't do was the upholstery and headliner.

I have 3000+ miles on it now and go to shows out of state as well as local. 

For the full novel version go here, but pack a lunch- it's 37 pages:

:grin:

• Like 1