2003 International 4200 VT365 no crank

Rate this topic

Matt Saunoras

The telephone company I do work for has an International 4200 that they use very infrequently, maybe a thousand miles a year.  They called me today and said they pulled it out of the garage, left it sit a few hours and now it won't crank with the ignition.  It'll crank but wont start from the rear switch they have. The vin for this truck is if it helps 1HTMPAFM63H603394

From what I gather the ECM and IDM are not being powered up.  There is no power at either relay in the underhood fuse box.  When I key on the wait to start light does not stay on like it would with a cold start. 

I have a code reader but couldn't decipher any of the faults it pulled out.  I've heard about a problematic fuse that is an extremely common issue but I couldn't locate it tonight when I went down to their garage. 

Anyone have any tips or point me in the right direction?  The local International dealer does service calls but we'd like to use that as a last resort. 

The problem fuse is in the battery box, the pins melt and creat low/no voltage.  Also there is a 3 wire connector near the firewall near the master cylinder, 10gauge wiring, that composite melts as well.

Yeah I didn't make it to the battery box yesterday. No idea there was anything down in that area. I'll stop down there and look at it today. Does international make a repair kit for this or do you improvise?

Update - talked to the customer today. The fuse in the battery box was melted, they managed to wiggle it and get the truck running long enough to pull it back in the garage. Had them call International and they've got some parts on order for Tuesday. I'll stop down one day next week and see if I can do the repair.