Low mileage low oil pressure

Rate this topic

Customer took delivery of this 16 f350 6.7 next day he called said I have 37 miles on this new truck and the low oil pressure lite is on when I first started the truck. Customer states the lite stays on until engine rpm is raised. Service advisor told him to check oil he said was in range but at the bottom he added a quart. Customer stopped by I checked oil is at top of the range when we started it sounded fine and no warning on. He said its done it every morning when first started. We made arrangements for him to drop off today. The customer came about 4pm. he told me the low oil pressure lite has come on after warm a couple of times now also. we walked out to truck and started no lite on he raised rpm to about 2k and it is noisey. Customer said going down road it makes more engine noise then his 12 with 150k miles that he traded in. I started the truck up before I left today and the low oil pressure lite is on and it sure sounds like it doesn't have any oil pressure (see picture). I raised rpm and lite goes out and noise goes away.

16 6.7.png

Got back on this truck, pulled lower oil pan clean. The upper oil pan, pickup tube, oil cooler and oil filter adapter seals all in good shape no concerns found pulled front cover and oil pump off. Here is what I found the pump has wear marks on side and the housing shows it also appears the pump wear is causing the no oil pressure. Called hotline they said most likely a machining concern of pump housing. They suggest replacing front cover and retest.

399.jpg

398.jpg

397.jpg

• Like 1

I got this truck finished. It now has oil pressure on start every time I started it. We will see how long the engine lasts. It is a really good customer. One of those customers that comes in the shop tells me he is there bypasses the service advisors.

• Like 1

Customer brought in his 14 for service today and said the 16 runs rough during regen. These trucks are only unhooked from trailers when in for service they are not babied trucks they are worked. I told him about fix should be coming in 1st quarter of 16. Obviously not real happy.