Removing Engines From Transits

Rate this topic

This is actually a tool/equipment discussion.

I have a 3.5L Ecoboost I need to remove. I was reviewing the WSM and discovered that ALL engines come out the bottom. No big deal but I am wondering if any of you guys have yet to remove an engine (any) from a Transit? Did you drop it out the bottom or through the nose? We have one out the nose that another dealer started but I want to do this one by the book the first time. I have that blue and white OTC rolling engine cradle we got back in the Contour days which looks like it might work... somehow.

I dropped a 3.5L Ecoboost today. The WSM procedure was pretty good. I had to drill some holes in the arms on this old stand and use a couple universal mounting arms from our heavy duty engine stand. It works.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow that is awesome. A guy here dropped a 3.7L out of a police interceptor Taurus and had it sitting on every jack stand in the shop. Wound up cracking the oil pan in the process.I like your idea much better, very sweet :thumbup:

Wow that is awesome. A guy here dropped a 3.7L out of a police interceptor Taurus and had it sitting on every jack stand in the shop. Wound up cracking the oil pan in the process.I like your idea much better, very sweet :thumbup:

He cracked the oil pan? That is impressive!

I did a 3.5 in an Interceptor a month or so back - dropped the entire subframe along with the engine and trans onto a big table with casters. The engine then came out super slick with the cherry picker - didn't even have to move the PTU. Also super nice was Ford using bolts for the torque converter so no hassle lining things up.

All the same, that OTC powertrain lift is pretty fancy lookin.