P2290

Rate this topic

Got an 06 F-350 here with 230k miles. This was a recent auction buy that's been here a few times since the summer for various things. Every time this truck is here it has a P2290 in memory but I never paid much attention to it. The overall condition of the truck is poor and it would be impossible for me to fix every damn thing on it in less than 6 tries. I'm at my third try right now. About 5k ago was the first time this thing died on them (and me). I found the oil aerating because it was 5-6 quarts over filled. It got fresh oil and a new set of pump gears and has been fine since. The P2290 always remained regardless of how well it seemed to run. I gave the IPR a look once to make sure the screen wasn't damaged and it was okay. I have actually seen quite a few P2290s caused by IPR screen damage.

They are complaining the truck shut off and wouldn't restart. When I cold started it a few days ago I verified that it was slow to build ICP until IPR ramped far enough to push it past that 500 psi mark. Defintely not a normal startup but if you weren't watching ICP you might not know anything was up. I drove the truck, got the EOT to about 210 and tried again to verify the concern. It still was slow to build ICP but actually started slightly quicker, watching ICP still shows a concern is lingering. With healthy trucks I typically see ICP is well above the needed pressure before sync and ficm sync occur, not with this one, ICP is lagging behind.

I have seen dummy plugs cause cold start ICP issues so I air check hot and when I get quite a bit of leakage sounds from under the valvecovers I tear right in expecting to nail it quickly. That didn't happen. The standpipes and dummy plugs are all the 10mm style BUT have no wear at all on the O-rings. Leak checking with the engine a little cooler shows nothing under the covers. I left the oil rails undisturbed for the time being.

So I rip the pump cover off and much to my surprise it appears this pump has been changed at one point. It has the new orange seals on the pump body and the updated pump connector that is aligned perfectly and not loose. I popped the 6mm hex plug out of the top of the pump to air check there with the IPR full fielded.

I was getting quite a bit of leakage from the IPR dump port on the HPOP so I tried my tester IPR. With 12v applied it still leaked a little but not nearly as much as the original IPR. I figured I had found it but to be sure I removed the pump completely and air checked at the branch tube for about an hour while I did other stuff. The last truck I did had some leaking injectors and it took a long time for those to show up. No leaks at either bank so I reassembled everything.

New IPR, wired in a new pigtail, new standpipes, dummy plugs and HPOP gasket kit.

Much to my surprise after driving this truck about 20 miles to purge the air from the rails it still starts exactly the same. Not even changed a little bit, and guess what? I'm pending a P2290 so I went back out for another ride. That's when I noticed that my ICP desired under heavy load is much more than my actual ICP. At one instance it wanted 3800-3900 psi and the truck was only able to make 3000. I have definitely never noticed any 05+ trucks do this but I have also never seen an 05+ HPOP fail yet.

This truck will absolutely not make more than 3000 psi ICP at WOT but it seems to run like a top. Anyone ever run across anything like this? I have seen the 03-04 pumps get weak and cause low ICP but not a newer one.

1st pic is a startup where ICP gets to around 400-450 PSI and kind of stalls out

2nd pic is a WOT run with IPR at 85% and a big variance in actual and desired ICP.

edit - also this truck has the latest oem calibrations, oem oil filter/cap and I tried a brand new ICP sensor with no change.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forget about this one. The truck is getting shipped back to the auction along with another one of this companies 6.0s that are here.

I was initially going to swap high pressure pumps to see if it made any change but they decided just now to dump them both.

It hot and cold starts fine now just can't maintain ICP under heavy throttle.

• 2 years later...

I had one with a very similar issues. It got a hpop, and icp sensor. Icp still wouldn’t build over 2400 psi. Replaced the ipr, still no change. Pulled the ficm relay and cranked it over. It would only build 700 psi with the ipr at 85%. The truck starts perfectly with a perfectly normal crank times hot and cold. I removed both valve covers and had an assistant crank it and found out that I had a cracked oil rail on the right side. 

1BC57191-4D4F-41B4-AC40-DD68300D877D.MOV

3EEEB692-3BCF-4F25-9043-31038A45C1BC.MOV