6.4 w/DPF & EGR delete smokes at idle

Rate this topic

I have a 2008 6.4 F-350 with 245,000 miles that smokes bad at idle and after you drive it about half a block it clears out and doesn't smoke while driving but when you stop and it idles about 30 seconds it starts to smoke again. The smoke smells like burning oil. This truck has a straight pipe and no coolers or egr valve.

I pulled the lower cac hose off and it's the driest intercooler I've seen, I wiped my finger in the opening and there is no oil in it all. I unhooked the exhaust down pipe and there is no oil there, just a dry black powdery film. I checked both turbos for loose bearings and they are good and no oil in the turbo inlets. Compression is low, 325-330, but this smoking started all at once so the owner finds it hard to believe that's it. He's had to add 2 quarts oil in the last 6,000 miles and right now it's in the middle of the normal range.

Has anyone heard or seen this or know of anything else I should check before I blame the engine for being worn out?

Since there wasn't any oil in the intake tube I didn't check the crank case pressure but when I put it back together I'll check it.

He changes oil every 5-6,000 miles.

Well the crank case pressure is 24 inches of mercury. That finally convinced him the engine is shot. I was shocked it was that high but had no oil in the air intake tube or turbos.

Well the crank case pressure is 24 inches of mercury. That finally convinced him the engine is shot. I was shocked it was that high but had no oil in the air intake tube or turbos.

With those numbers I am surprised it didn't blow one of the glow plug connections out of the valve cover. I see 1 a month like that, usually auction trucks.

It's a steady stream coming out of the filler.

I'm putting a complete reman in it. Maybe I should have parts order two of them so we have one in stock when it comes back with a blown engine then  we will have another one ready to go in.