Compression Test Access

Rate this topic

Bruce Amacker

Hey Guys:

I need some tips.  I'm doing a Diag class soon that will be mostly hands-on in the shop.  I need to know some details about compression tests.  I'm not planning to test all 8 cyls on each engine, just about 3 cyls.

On a typical 6.0 F-body, which 3 cyls are the easiest to access for a compression test?

On a typical 6.4, which 3 cyls are the easiest to access for a compression test?

On a typical 6.7, which 3 cyls are the easiest to access for a compression test?

Thanks!

6.0L - 2,4,6

6.4L - 1,3,5

6.7L - 5,6,7

On a 6.0L #'s 1 and 3 are easy enough to get to but you need to remove the CAC tube and still deal with the heater box which can make getting your test fitting into the hole difficult at best.. It's easiest to just loosen the intake tube clamp and remove the air filter and tube assembly and you will then have a straight shot at the left bank cylinders.

On a 6.4L the left bank requires draining the coolant, removing the battery, the battery tray/coolant reservoir but if you just remove the air filter assembly you can get at the right bank glow plugs easily with the exception of #7 - the heater box restricts access with the test adapter..

On a 6.7L the right bank is well blocked by the EGR coolers which are close to the battery and the air filter housing which can be a bitch to get out. The left bank is not covered by much at all except for the noise shield held on with those annoying plastic screw retainers. Once you get pissed and break those off and fold back rip the fucking the cover off :whipem:  you can get to the glow plugs under the fuel rail.