6.0 lack of power

Rate this topic

Damn 04 6.0 I worked on that had no boost which I posted about came back with lack of power... took it out on the road, good boost but barely gets out of its own way. Takes bout 400 ft wide open throttle to get from 40 to 50 mph. first thought was clogged cat, took the downpipe off the cat, drove it again, no change... No codes again. At wide open throttle on take off the ICP hits up to 3800 psi. The EBP will hit 48 psi at times but hovers around 35-40 psi. It took me about 15 seconds to go 0-60... I'm starting to think that this is not engine related, everything seems ok. Boost hit 22 psi... This thing is boggling my mind like nothing else!!

I jimmy rigged a fuel pressure tester to work from autozone, can't really take a drive with it, its teed into the fuel pressure line.. KOER is 48 psi, power braking it goes down to like 44 psi.

I beleive 55 psi minimum under load is the spec.

Kevin, you need to step back for a second. It is time to have a talk with management about the shop's situation. These trucks are damn hard enough to fix with the correct tools. Using the wrong tools or tools that are not equivalent to the ones needed for a particular job will create a bigger problem than the one that is in front of you i.e. a broken truck. The biggest enemy we face is interpreting collected data incorrectly. This will lead you down the wrong path right off the bat and everything else goes South quick. Get the right stuff and follow the the "hard start/performance" sheets and you will fix every Powerstroke that comes to your bay. I guarantee it!

• Like 1

I've been trying to get that taken care of Brad... they are stubborn and cheap. They think we can fix anything with a set of sockets and some wd40. I will keep pestering them, and if nothing happens I'll be going to the owner of the dealer to discuss these matters. Thank you Brad. I really appreciate everything yall have helped me with so far. It's been a huge huge help.

No sir, do not have any way to test it to be honest. We don't have any sort of fuel pressure testing equipment (all has been taken by previous techs).

I dealt with that in the past. That was the day that I decided to start building my own gauge set. I bought an oil and transmission kit from one of the tool dealers and expanded from there. I used the brass adapter for air testing the high pressure oil system and screwed it in the test port on the secondary housing. I have since bought my own adapter hose from a local hydraulic repair shop. The thread is 12 X 1.5 metric o-ring thread.

I've been trying to get that taken care of Brad... they are stubborn and cheap. They think we can fix anything with a set of sockets and some wd40. I will keep pestering them, and if nothing happens I'll be going to the owner of the dealer to discuss these matters. Thank you Brad. I really appreciate everything yall have helped me with so far. It's been a huge huge help.

Been there done that.

• Like 1