Oil Application Chart?

Rate this topic

Okay, for the life of me I can't locate this info in the service documents. Does anyone know where I can find this information on what weight oil to use and the minimum operating temperatures for each? Here in balmy NJ we rarely need this information... until someone asks.

Okay, for the life of me I can't locate this info in the service documents. Does anyone know where I can find this information on what weight oil to use and the minimum operating temperatures for each?

It's not in the service info, it's in the owner's manual, which is a free PDF at motorcraftservice.com if it's not on PTS.

Owner's manuals have a lot of great info in them. It's too bad the owner's never open them!

Have a great day!

• 3 months later...

Keith, that image is also in TSB 05-16-06. I live by that TSB up here. Out of curiousity, what is your opinion on viscosities in these engines. I personnally believe in 15W40 in the summer because I believe with the amount heat these engines create, you need all the protection against thermal breakdown you can get. We have bulk tanks for oil and we switch our diesel oil to 10W30 in the fall and 15W40 in the spring. We are smack dab in the centre of the oil patch and have alot of customers that haul alot of heavy crap. I also see tonnes of engine oil cooler failures that I believe are related to thermal breakdown and lack of maintenance. By the way, that TSB also displays that 15W40 is preferred for trailer towing.

Dwayne, Welcome to the DTS! My opinion on oil viscosity... hmm, I feel that paying attention to climate is the key but a diesel is a diesel and if worked as they should be, an oil that will stand up to heat is preferred. I live in New Jersey where the weather does not get extremely cold but we do see some serious heat the summer and most of my customers are doing just fine with 15W40 all year. I do recommend 10W30 for winter use if performance is affected by cold and cold start romping is the only problem I have seen and only on older 7.3's.

We could go on and on about oil, dino vs synthetic, what weight to use, what brand is best and to take oil samples or not to... Motorcraft oil is fine. Service intervals are more important to me. I think owners that spend extra money on synthetic and oil analyzing to extend their oil change intervals are missing the point. If "we" would just use the appropriate weight oil and service interval for the application and service type I think the number of oil related concerns we DO have would be reduced.

I have yet to see a base engine failure due to lubrication on a Ford diesel truck. Extended oil change intervals are bad for HEUI injection systems. Do a buzz test on a truck that has been neglected and you will hear what I mean.

Thanks. This is a pretty cool site. I couldn't agree with you more. For some reason, people and dealerships up here seem to be hung on lower viscosity oils and synthetic interval extensions. I allways tell my customers to use the recommended oil and that synthetic is just not economical. I explain to them that 5000km of carbon blowing past your piston rings is still 5000km of contamination, no matter what oil you are running. And when I see what the oil looks like on these trucks running synthetic at extended intervals, I just shake my head in disgust. We also get pretty hot in the summer time as well.

We also get pretty hot in the summer time as well.

Yeah, but you know what? It gets REALLY cold in the Northern region too, and when temps are below zero, the added expense of a synthetic oil might be worth the improved viscosity and protection those oils offer. This would also benefit cold weather starting and performance in those conditions as well. That is what I mean by "appropriate."

I should have also spceified that in the winter we are usually between 32F and -10f. But we are just out of the Rocky mountains and we get alot of Chinook or tropical weather as I call it. In the Summer we are usually between 70f and 90f. And most of the shops up here are recommending the lower viscosities even throughout the summer. Thats where I believe we are having some issues. And no doubt about I agree synthetic is a better lubricant, but within the same interval.