Home Made DEF!

Rate this topic

Just like Momma used to make. Here is an interesting thread found over at the FTE Forums. I agree that this is not only wrong it is irresponsible posting because there's a bunch of other people out there willing to try it... and likely damage their trucks. Urea and ammonia are not the same thing and bottled de-ionized is not filtered or pure. Distilled water is probably not okay either. This guy may be getting away with this in the short term but I am thinking that his days are numbered as long term damage from impurities is probably going to bring down his SCR system. And of course Ford will suck when that does happen. I hope none of us have to diagnose that one.  

DEF--------------------------------------------------------------------Here's a little pointer if ya wanna save money. DEF fluid is basically ammonia. So .... If you use one gallon of ammonia to 1-1/2 gallons of distilled water mix  it's the same thing. Never had any problems with def contamination It will save you money. Dollar tree for the ammonia and a grocery store usually sells distilled water around 88 cents a gallon which would cost around $2.70 as opposed to $9-$16 at the truck stops or farm stores

At least he took a good beating for the post.  I doubt he will get many followers. This hack has a pretty high risk/reward ratio.  As inexpensive as DEF is, there's no reason to play games with it.

Joe