Late build hpop question

Rate this topic

ok truck is back with long crank time again. checked and made sure oil filter housing fills up, air pressure tested and don't hear air coming through filter housing or turbo oil feed line. dead head the pump and builds 4000 psi after 3-4 seconds then builds even quicker the second and third time. I figured due to the oil getting pushed out of the system is why it took longer the first time. removed pump cover and pressure tested at pump fitting and have loud leak at passenger side oil rail injector tops. checked the branch tube with stethoscope and borescope and found no problems. I removed oil rail and all four injectors and put them in a jig like the one brad came

up with. I put air into at 80 psi and have air leaking from 3 of the injectors oil dump ports. including the 2 injectors I replaced last time. the only one that isn't leaking is the aftermarket injector that someone else has put in. should there be any air coming from those ports?

I also think that this truck was at another shop before I got it and they were chasing the same issue. the high pressure pump has orange

seals and I remember matt saying something about that being a replacement pump. Im really stuck here and the customer is getting fed up.

• 1 month later...

Never updated this one. Found fuel in the oil which explained all the weird icp issues. Resealed all the injectors and changed the oil, never could smell the fuel in the oil but finally noticed how thinned out the oil was when it was hot. That and the fact that my latex gloves started deteriorating the longer the oil was on my hands. Glad its gone but felt like a dumbass after realizing the problem was right in front of me. First time ever running into fuel in oil on 6.0.

The fact that diesel in the oil no longer seems to have that OBVIOUS odor we were used already caused me some pain too.  I air tested one 6.0 every which way repeatedly for an intermittent long crank or long crank no start. Replaced IPR valve thinking it was sticking when no other issues were found and also did an oil change. New oil fixed it for over 2000 miles (not the IPR...). HUGE dose of humility from that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Is that even possible?

A buddy of mine tried to "fix" his stiction by sanding his spool valves. What he didn't know was that you're only supposed to sand the ends to remove any varnish and restore the surface. He sanded the 2 lands in the middle and ended up with a truck that would stall when hot from a lack of ICP. It is definitely possible to have a leak here.

Been there, done that! :(