200,000 miles and done

Rate this topic

I went from hardly ever working on 6.4s to seeing them all the time and it seems to me they are just done at 200,000 even with decent maintenance and up keep. Its either a fuel system, turbos, short block, dpf or a combination of the bunch which all are extremely expensive fixes. Other than fleets, nobody from my experience even thinks about doing some of the repairs once they're handed the estimate. They simply tell me to put it back together and there going to get rid of it(if its an option). Just wondering what some of you think.

Its either a fuel system, turbos, short block, dpf or a combination of the bunch which all are extremely expensive fixes

You nailed it on the head, hardest engine to fix because of the cost of repairs. I give quotes for repairs and they all end up going somewhere willing to under cut us or patch repair which is very dangerous, I have only done one retail engine and it was on high rail truck. Its not just one thing with these engines.

Plus..you get ones that roll in like this. Not to mention having the upper hose blow off the thermostat housing during an over heating diagnosis, because it wasn't pushed all the way on. And it needs some DPF diagnosis as well.

20160223_084626.jpg

20160223_084618.jpg

20160223_084610.jpg

We have two in our fleet and I hate both of them. They where purchased at a time when there was no other options out there and the company needed a particular outfitted truck. Both of them have had engines replaced at 100k. One was due to a simply lack of maintenance and the other had a loss of compression issue covered under warranty. They both have got DPFs replaced not too long ago as well as a host of other small issues. Now they have about 150k on them and still running but who knows for how long. After the engine replacements I reassigned them to be close to our main shop to keep a close eye on them and make sure we are on top of services. Also as much as I hate working on them I'm glad to have them close by so we can avoid the hacks working on them when they do go down.  If I can get 200k on them before having to get rid of them I would be happy on the ROI. We typically like to shoot for 300k+ on a diesel superduty but with the 6.4 I have no expectations.

Just got the decline by the customer on one that's been here for 2 weeks. Dead miss on 5, broken rocker arm, removed both valve covers and found every single rocker tip worn down(thought that was pretty impressive). High pressure turbo blowing oil, metal in fuel rails, cracked up pipes. Lack of maintenance, this thing is black inside, oil filter sucked in looks like an hour glass, priced an engine only had 84k on odometer.