aOdd exhaust valve failure

Rate this topic

I have a 2011 6.7 with 70,000 miles with a check engine light on and codes P0263 - Cylinder 1 Contribution/Balance, and P02CD - Cylinder 1 Fuel Injector Offset Learning at Maximum Limit. I ran power balance and all cylinders are even but when I run enhanced power balance #1 drops almost all the way down. I ran relative compression test and #1 is down 12%. Did a manual compression test and #1 is 210 and #2  is 360. I am amazed that the PCM can make an engine run fine with that low of compression. I would think at 210 psi the diesel fuel wouldn't fire no mater how much the PCM told the injector to inject in the cylinder. The truck ran fine. I found a piece of the exhaust valve face came off and beat up the seat. I've never seen a valve do this before.

gallery_468_57_2588915.jpg

This is the reason for the long block TSB. Had that piece chipped all the way off you would have been looking at a lot more damage

Also I have never seen a valve failure in that manner but if assume it's related to all the other valve cracking issues the earlies had.

I hope they slap the crap out of whoever decided that a downstream injector for regen was too much money. Somebody got the message when they did the Transit motor.