Ford Accelerated Training

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I heard this third hand but it is interesting enough to mention. I hear Ford is kicking around the idea of offering an accelerated STST program where a Ford tech can attend Ford training at a training center in about an 8 week timeframe and get about 50% certified in one shot. I don't have any other real details. When I heard this it immediately sounded like a good idea because if there are dealers like mine that are forced to be hiring young guys out of schools it can get them a good start on training and make them eligible for warranty. The only catch I mentioned is that this has to cost a pretty penny. How do you retain these guys to get a return on your investment?

I imagine the program would start with the basics - electrical, chassis, climate control... areas you would expect a green tech to start out doing. Personally I am all for it, at least try it and put it into action to see the results.

The others doing these programs have worked fairly well with two year contracts that dealers offer. The dealer pays the training fee and if the tech fulfills the 2 year term then they are paid up. If they leave early they pay a prorated amount.  The major issue is hiring a young guy that is not local. Many times they do the two years and then leave go back home.

They need a better acronym. I would suggest Ford Accelerated Regimented Technician.  Young graduates coming out of this program would be "little FARTs" and the seasoned older grads would be "old FARTs". This would also lead to grads of the program that just don't really have the aptitude as being "smelly FARTs".

• Like 2

They ran a similar program up here in western Canada in 2006. They pushed through a whole load of diesel techs to help get caught up on the backlog of broken down 6.0's. I was in training every second week for about 2 months, but it very quickly got me all my electrical, nvh, diesel driveability and gas / diesel engine specialties. I started at ford in 2005, and by 2008 I was a senior / master.

• Like 1