2nd Shop Fire In 3 Years!!!

Rate this topic

the_twig_187

just wanted to post and let eveyone know that if you dont have your own personal insurance on your toolbox and your tools, that they are not covered under your works insurnace policy. I just had my second fire in the past 3 years (twinhills ford in 2013)(campbell ford 2016). this time I do have a $10,000 insurnace plan that I pay for off every paycheck through my work. will be meeting with the insurance adjuster on monday. hopefully i will get a new toolbox but i think they are just going to wipe it with a damp rag and tell me to have a nice day.

cause of the fire was a 2016 Shelby Mustang brought into the shop at 6pm to be PDI in the morning. around midnight it burst into flames by itself and took out 3 bays including mine. my toolbox is the gray classic 78

20160309_121615674_iOS.jpg

20160309_121634396_iOS.jpg

20160309_122514527_iOS.jpg

20160309_201931958_iOS.jpg

Tool insurance is something I've thought about in the last few years. I really wonder how my boss would handle the loss of my tools in an event like this.  I guess it's time to ask, I do have a lot more than the average technician.

Myself and 2 other techs at our shop(oilfield fleet) asked about that this summer. We were fortunate enough to get the company to cover our tool insurance. I got 85,000 coverage on my stuff from the company, mostly due to my welders, pressure washer, and a lot of other equipment from my shop came with me.

so i was doing some research on claiming insurance for the dammages to my toolbox as a result of the fire at my shop. the key element is going to be the ryder in the insurance policy. if it states "replacement cost coverage" which is actual $ amount to purchase my toolbox brand new (which is approx $6,000 canadian + 13% sales tax = $6,800) or if it reads "actual cash value" which considers depreciation and will likely result in a fraction of the cost of my box.

20160314_111617849_iOS.jpg

20160314_111623701_iOS.jpg

20160314_111627136_iOS.jpg

20160314_111636615_iOS.jpg

20160316_173258586_iOS.jpg

If you have a current EC account and are making payments on the box, check with your Snap-on guy.  It may be covered by the insurance on the loan.

Joe

That's what I'm expecting from the insurance company... The side of the box is warped and dented... The box paint is powder coated paint so it will never match. And how strong are the welds on the inside for the drawers? I have thousands of pounds of weight inside that box, how long until the box falls apart from rusting on the inside? A year? Two years? I bought the tool box for over $6,000 less than 3 years ago with the intention of having it for my career as a mechanic (20-30 years). It may hold up today but the integrity of the box has been compromised and it will not last for 25-30 years like it would have had it not been burned in the fire (that's going to be my arguement to the insurance)

Exactly! Make it focused on long term. Boxs last decades and are inside a climate controlled environment (shop) at all times (they don't depreciate like cars) and I planned on having this for the next 20-30 years and sure you can slap some paint on the side but the metal is warped and wrinkled and now the drawers are weaker because of it and will break and rot off long before my 20-30 years of use expectancy

You can always use safety in your defense.  Unless the insurance company can prove there was no metal fatigue caused by the fire, and that the drawers and wheels will continue to hold their rated amount, then you can't safely use the toolbox.  They would assume responsibility if you were injured when a drawer or the cabinet failed.  

$6K is cheap.  I bet they'll replace it.

Joe

ohhhh I like that angle!

This box is rated to hold thousands of pounds of weight in tools. Over time as the box rusts and rots, what if one day I open that top drawer and the rust lets go. My top drawer holding hundreds of pounds worth of tools falls and takes one of my legs off!

Not only is the box an eye sore but its going to become a safety concern moving forward

The box is double walled so the outside wall that was burnt and warped is starting to rust on the inside. the only way to sand and repair and paint that would be to remove the drawers and then cut the wall holding the drawers to access the inside wall

It doesn't have to be as dramatic as a leg getting cut off.  If a weakened drawer slide mount failed and you crushed a hand, or even a finger, that would cost them way more than the box.  

Joe