2006 Ranger Inertia Switch

Rate this topic

pcassidy111

Anyone seen problems with the fuel pump inertia switch tripping while cornering? Vehicle has been towed to the dealer a few times, new fuel pump, relay etc. Customer said last time it died (while cornering on smooth pavement) tow driver reset inertia switch and sent him on his way. I don't have access to SSM's or Oasis and Alldata is about 2 months behind on updating TSB's. I am going to replace the inertia switch but if you are seeing problems at the dealerships that would increase my (and the customer's) confidence that the problem is repaired.

Thanks for the help. Pete

yes ranger switches seem to be very light. I have replaced several that seem to trip at random. also ask if there is a passager. The switch sits in a prime location to get kicked by their feet. Also of times the harness will come unplugged.

The new updated switch comes with a bracket protecting it from getting kicked.

• 1 month later...

Cassidy when the 05 ranger came out, i had one ranger coming back every week and i could never verify the no start, it was a security truck so the owner thought the guys were kicking the switch so they didnt have to go to work. After a week of it sitting out back i started going through it looking at everything, when i went to disconnect the intertia switch the bottom peice fell off real easy. Called hotline, engineer called out dealership, told our service manager to send the switch back, month later sent us a prototype ( not lying ) inertia switch with a metal sheild around it. That Fixed it. havent seen another inertia switch like it.

I don't think this is a new problem either. If I recall I had one (was a security vehicle by coincidence) that the harness was routed in such a way that if you put your foot next to the kick panel and pressed down it pulled the harness down and off the switch. The truck was towed in three times and all three times the harness was off. we finally charged them and amazingly we never saw the truck again! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif