E-450 Brake Line Repair

Rate this topic

Im sure many of you have seen Econolines with brake fluid leaks from rusted lines. In particular, the section where the 3 brake lines (2 for the front wheels and 1 for the rear wheels) meet in the left front wheel well and then splice into braded steel lines before bending up and going into the ABS hydraulic control unit. In my case the section where the lines met and connected to the braded steel lines was rusted and leaking break fluid causing the customer (retirement home activity bus) to tow it to the shop.

Now I don't have a ton of experience with flaring brake fluid lines (have done about 3 brake line repairs in the past) therefore, I don't have my own personal brake flaring tool. I asked another tech to if he had one and if I could borrow it to do the repair. He handed me a Snap-On/Blue Point "TFL20MK" master on car brake flaring tool. This was the slickest, easiest, nicest brake flare tool I have ever use or seen. The best part about it was the price (just over $100 not on sale)

I got some 3/16th brake line from pats and some brake line union fittings. I cut the lines at the ABS-HCU and re-used its fitting, individually I flared the line (I remembered to install the nut prior to flaring the line lol) and bent my lines in the same sort of shape as the stock lines back up to the HCU. When it was all done I bleed all four brake calipers and washed down the brake fluid leaks. Road tested and was very pleased with the repair.

to conclude I was extremely impressed with the Blue Point master on car brake flaring tool and its ability to get into the tight space of the left wheel well and it flared "Double Flare" the lines beautifully on the first attempt with no issues or leaks.  

20160425_120930835_iOS.jpg

20160425_120954666_iOS.jpg

TFL20MK.jpg