6.4 intermittent no-start

Rate this topic

Gentlemen...  I have a 2008 F-350 with a 6.4.  I have seen this truck on a few occasions with a CEL and DTC P0087.  I've never been able to verify an issue.  It usually goes for weeks after the DTC is cleared before it comes back.  I was finally able to verify an issue today.  After driving it on the highway, and getting it ridiculously hot, the engine will crank, but not start immediately after shutting it down.  When the concern happens, FRP is about 1200 psi.  Low pressure is fine, and there is no air in the fuel.  If I let it sit for a mere 10 minutes, it will start up perfectly fine and run and drive with no issues.  I just want to bang this off you guys before I tear in to it, because by the time I get it torn down, it's going to be cool enough to not exhibit any issues.  Has anybody seen something like this before?  Thanks!  :notworthy:

Nothing out of the ordinary with the fuel trims. Maybe the water trick for the 6.0 would work for the control valves on the pump. By any chance does the fuel cooler system have a problem? Whats the FRP voltage when this happens.

The FRP is 0.49v at 0 psi.  The fuel temperature is fine.  If you've ever interrupted a 6.4 during a stationary regen, they usually won't start right away...  This truck acts the EXACT same way, but not after a regeneration.

I've sort of figured it out.  I had to run a return port leakage test when the engine was hot.  Almost like sticking your hands deep in to the surface of the sun.  There is a leaking injector, but only when hot.  I'm waiting for authorization to run an inverse leak test.

The FRP is 0.49v at 0 psi. The fuel temperature is fine. If you've ever interrupted a 6.4 during a stationary regen, they usually won't start right away... This truck acts the EXACT same way, but not after a regeneration.

I've sort of figured it out. I had to run a return port leakage test when the engine was hot. Almost like sticking your hands deep in to the surface of the sun. There is a leaking injector, but only when hot. I'm waiting for authorization to run an inverse leak test.

A leaking injector came to mind yesterday, but I forgot to post it. :facepalm: My thinking was what might it be doing in regen that would make the symptom the same(Over-fueling) Lets say it is over-fueling, I wonder if the IDS could be used to narrow down the affected cylinder if a RC test was ran right after it stalled. I would still prefer to use a DSO but the IDS RC may be enough to give some insight.

I don't know if an inverse leak test will identify the faulty injector, because when I run return port leak test when the engine is cool, no fuel flows.  I think I'm going to have to recommend 8 injectors.

• Like 1

Update...  I decided to roll the dice on replacing 4 injectors...  So, I replaced the right bank injectors and retested it.  The concern was still evident.  I then resealed the injectors I took out of the right side and put them in the left side.  All is good now.