F750 Wiring Concern

Rate this topic

I thought this was concerning when I discovered it. A customer brought in a 2014 F750 that lost all of the lights on the parking lamp circuit as well as the headlamps. I approached the diagnosis logically as I usually do checking the fuse first then I began at the main light switch. Found it connected and no concerns there but I had no supply voltage to the switch at all and then found no voltage at the relays either. Since it was in the vicinity of the relay box I disconnected connector C192 and found pin D8 melted and burned on the dash harness connector. The body side was perfect. I expected to find a pin fit or bad crimp issue and localized damage. When I pulled the dash back and unwrapped the harness between C192 and the relay box I discovered that circuit 196 (DB-OG) burned up between the connector and splice S212.

When I looked at the wiring, it appears as though circuit 196 coming from the BJB is an 18 or even 16 gauge wire all the way up to connector C192. From the dash side of connector C192 the circuit was 20 gauge for about 8 inches then it is spliced off at splice S212 where I found 2- 20 gauge wires, a 16 gauge wire and 18 gauge wire. Make sense? Nooooo. So the issue here is why is there 20 gauge wire there?

750-Wiring-Issue.jpg

I had to go all the way to splice S212 to find decent wire to repair with but splicing there would only turn that wire into a fusible link again. All I can say is WTF!

IMG_4589.JPG

The repair was made by removing the 5 wire splice and breaking it down to two splices and then into one, crimped and soldered and since there was no other damage than the pin cavity on the connector hard shell I simply spliced/overlaid the circuit over the connector.

IMG_4590.JPG

Try getting a harness for one of these trucks. You call Ford to help figure out the International tag number to verify your Ford listing, then they tell you it will take 4-6 weeks for them to order one, MAKE IT and then ship it. The customer and I were both happy that the harness was not too badly damaged and a repair was doable.