EGR cooler internal leak and turbo surge?

Rate this topic

I have my very first internal EGR cooler leak. The truck also has some intermittent turbo fluctuation issues that I had previously replaced the VGT solenoid for, but didn't fix. I removed the cooler to intake pipe and found coolant, currently removing the cooler for leak tests. I can't see coolant getting into the exhaust side of the turbo like the 6L would do, so I am not sure if the EGR leak would affect the VGT like it would on the 6L. Since we are not allowed to dis-assemble the turbo I can't check either. Anyone run into this issue? I fear EGR cooler leaks are not common and information may be limited. Any input is appreciated. 

Last one I had one of those the rear big o-ring was torn a bit causing the issue cooler core was ok.  Have seen a few now with torn O-rings on the back side of cooler core.  Mostly newer trucks but the last one has 80000 km on it and had never been touched.  Have also seen plenty of blown up intercoolers sending a bit of antifreeze through the turbo causing weird flutters and surging.  All the ones with the coolant in the egr system had surging issues as well.

Mine ended up being the low side core. I replaced the secondary water pump 7000 km ago. Suspecting that was the initial cause of the cooler core leak. Putting a turbo in it anyways while it's apart.