Idm/pcm testers

Rate this topic

IDM can be used on any of them, PCM may work, but would likely throw a few codes if it is out of a auto trans vehicle and put in a manual trans, or switched between a California or 49 state truck.

IDM will also set non-CEL codes if it is does not have the proper program. No biggie.

:grin:

Um.... my test one at work is a 100 volt one out of a 90's ride. I've run it in the superduty's that take the 110 and the 120 volt ones and never seen any codes.

• 3 weeks later...

My Test IDM and FICM are older and so far have worked on any truck I connected them to. As mentioned they might set erroneous codes and I believe my test FICM has a false code that always appears (which is why it was replaced) My 6.0L PCM is hit or miss. 

The thing with test modules is that I am usually looking for one specific thing like will the damn engine just start or a particular reading or self test result so minor inconsistencies or generated codes that are not related to what I need to know are unimportant.