OIL SMELL LIGHT BLUE SMOKE COMING OUT OF EXHAUST

Rate this topic

I have a 2008 6.4 with 240,000 miles and had engine replaced at 148,000 miles. I have checked turbo inlet, lower cac tube hose, blow-by, and down pipe and I don't see anything. when  I removed the down pipe to inspect I only see powdery black soot and it is not wet. Engine has lots of power and will go from 0-90 really quick. Please help thanks in advance.

018.jpg

021.jpg

015.jpg

this truck has an sct tuner 7015 x4 relative compression is good, fuel trims are good except #2 -10, blow-by looks good, this truck feels like I am driving a race car it goes so fast. the truck is consuming oil cause I had to add 5 quarts after drving it for about 60 miles. I quess I thought I was going to see oil coming out of the turbo downpipe but I did not. im leaning towards the turbos. I will keep you guys posted.

001.jpg

so I took the crossover tube to the high pressure turbo off and checked impeller by hand and it appears to have more than the .89mm radial shaft movement also their is dried gunky oil on the high pressure turbo outlet. so I priced out the turbos I will keep you guys posted. :)

005.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well if it's burning the oil in cylinder you wont see anything in the intake or turbo and as far as the turbos go you should disconnect the down pipe and look for oil at that location. With your short term fuel trim on #2 at 10 and 12 you need to be concerned. Either the injector has a problem or it is compensating for a base engine problem or both. Back when the 6.4L was "new" and we were looking at all kinds of failures one thing I saw a lot of was glazed cylinders. And one other thing, I have thought that the relative compression test on these engines does not always pick up base engine concerns. A manual compression test will. I would at least check bank 2 compression if all else fails.

Like Keith said, there is probably no crosshatch left on the cylinder walls from running the tuner cranked up. Had a truck a couple of years ago with same thing only it was not using as much oil. Truck ran like a rocket, only symptom was check engine light and P252f. Pulled the cylinder head off and cylinders looked like mirrors. Did you actually do a crankcase pressure test with a gauge and block off vent?

I had a 6.4 using 9 quarts of oil at a time, performed manual compression test and the entire drivers bank was about 50 psi lower than the passenger bank. Truck ran fine, just couldn't keep oil in it. Pulled the driver head and all 4 rods were bent.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with running a manual compression check on that thing, especially with the tuner being involved. I have had both 6.4 and 6.7 trucks programming cover up base engine concerns pretty well