Canadian Rockies

Rate this topic

Bruce Amacker

Hey Guys:

Who know this area best?  If I'm driving from Edmonton to Vancouver and looking for the scenic route, is it best to go through Jasper on the northern route (Route 5)  or through Calgary/Banff (Route 1)?

I've already done the Jasper ice fields parkway and would do it again, but this time it looks like we'll end up in Vancouver.

Thanks!

:grin:

Going through Jasper is flatter once you get into B.C. and past Valemount. Once you get to Kamloops and head on the Coquihalla it gets you back into some hills. The route through Banff then Radium then onto Vancouver has a lot more mountain driving and is the more scenic route for sure. If I want to get to Vancouver fast I go through Jasper.

I would say through canmore, banff, lake louise, golden (thats were I am!) (If time permits detour down to radium), then  revelstoke, sicamous, salmon arm. Once you make it west to kamloops you can decide if you want to go coquihalla or fraser canyon. The fraser canyon being the more scenic but slower choice.