Snap-on BJP1 "Ball Joint Press"

Rate this topic

Hey guys

I have always used the classic "OTC" style ball joint press (got mine at princess auto "IE the canadian harbor fraight) Allong the way I have had to use a carbide bur to shape some of the recieving or pressing cups in order to properly install certain ball joints without potential dammage to the grease boots. I was replacing the track bar ball joint on a 2010 F-350 (6.4L) and was able to push out the ball joint from the bottom up when I cut the stud to shorten the length. The problem however was the install, due to the height of the ball joint no matter what cup arrangement I positioned I was unable to pull the ball joint down while having the forcing screw on the bottom towards the ground. The only way I could do it was to press it down from the top end, but due to the alignment of the frame I wasnt able to centre the ball joint press straight onto the joint and did not want to press it off centre and risk dammaging something. At that point I remembered that another tech had purchased the Snap-on BJP1 ball joint press back in the summer and I thought that maybe this kit would have better adapters which would allow me to properly and safely install the track bar ball joint. WOW what an impressive kit! In a matter of about 4min I had the new ball joint pressed in perfectly and was beyond impressed. The overall feel of the "C" clamp in the snap-on kit is extreemly beefy and very heavy as compaired to the OTC one. It is a little larger than the OTC as well and thus had no issues pressing in the tall track bar joint. I grabed a cup (all cups seem to be of a medium height) and I thought "this isnt going to be tall enough press the joint. Then I noticed several different adapters including an extension adapter to make any of the cups longer/taller. Another adapter to turn any open ended cup closed so you can now press against it with the forcing screw allong with several other adapters that were not needed during this install. I placed the extention adapter onto the proper lower cup and then placed the open end to closed end adapter onto the forcing screw of the "C" frame and popped it into the retention clip on the bottom (VERY COOL FEATURE) then I lined up the now "ONE PIECE" ball joint press onto the ball joint and with my gun now on the bottom side of the axle, press the joint in with ease. What a product, for my first time using this I was extremely impressed with the results and the adaptability of this set considering the relatively small amount of cups and adapters that come in the kit. I would say you could do much more with this kits few pieces due to its design than I can do with my large "OTC" kit and equally large master ball joint cup kit. The only issue as with many awesome snap-on tools is the price. Coming in at a whopping $800 (Canadian) this kit is extremely expensive and borderline falls under the "SHOP TOOLS" category of purchases. None the less I just wanted to share my experience with this tool as I thought it was very well made and could save a ton of time and frustration as compared to the traditional "OTC" style of ball joint press.

Take care all

Chris

InkedBJP1_LI.jpg

• Like 1

Funny how I seem to be able to make my basic OTC press work just fine. For $715 USD you can keep it. But I am glad you are excited about it! :) Aside from that I am pleased that you also took the time to post your experience on this tool. Would love to see more of this. 

I have fingered that press on more then on occasion, however I quickly it down when I remember how expensive it is. If I needed on more then a occasional basis I would consider one but no way to justify that cost otherwise

• 2 weeks later...

It is an awesome press and worth every penny. The OTC worked for me for years, but I sometimes felt like I needed a third hand to hold the adapters. The snap-on kit negates this with the circlip spring holders.

• Like 1