Corroded Cylinder Head

Rate this topic

Had a used truck run through the shop this week that our sales dept wanted to sell. Had exhaust leaks from the fairly new exhaust manifolds. I got it apart and found the lower part of the front flange cyl #1 was cracked completely clean off the manifold. The cylinder head was heavily corroded around the lower stud leaving at least an 1/8' gap which explains the broken manifold.  Weighing options it was suggested to try grinding it clean and building it back up using JB Weld. Seemed hokey to me but I gave it a try after reading the product specifications. I built up the cylinder head and carefully ground it flat checking it with a straight edge. Reassembled and verified the repair. Anyone ever try something like that? Obviously a new head is the best repair but its one of those heavily corroded trucks with more issues than the head. After having done this I believe I would have done this if it were my truck.

Recently I had to use JB weld on a badly butchered exhaust manifold job too.  One stud hole was drilled into a water jacket and another hole right into an exhaust port.  Truthfully I don't know if that truck will ever be back so I can't speak for the longevity of the repair.

For the stud hole into the water jacket I drilled a half inch hole, threaded it, ran a slotted cut off bolt coated in JB into the hole and ground it flush.  Then I totally re drilled the M8 hole for the stud.  The exhaust port hole got a big sert coated in JB.