6.7 HIGH PRESSURE PUMP FAILURE

Rate this topic

Only pump I saw like that seized up from DEF. I sent it to Bruce who dissected it. Is that pump seized? I ask because the one I mentioned took out the engine by causing the crankshaft timing gear to rotate before the engine stopped.

This one is a 2014 f550.  Truck did not turn over at first I though it was seized too but then it made a crazy bang shot fuel everwhere and turned over fine.  the pin on the shaft snapped off on the pump as well.  Pulled everything apart and let sit out no crystals formed even sent fuel off for sampling and nothing was found.  The last pump wasn't quite this bad but man that mad a loud bang.

Okay WHEW!!! You had me thinking I made a poor choice buying my '16. I know the '15 and up engines use a different HPFP and injectors as far as I know.

I think mine was a 14 too now that i think about it. I have done a few warranty fuel systems on 15s though so we're not in the clear yet haha. I run lubricity additive in mine religiously

I use the Stanadyne lubricity additve mixed with PM-22 (or 23 in the winter) about 50/50.  I have also used Stanadnye performance formula but truthfully I can't tell a perfomance difference between any of them.  I do believe the lubricity additive quiets the injectors down a little but I can't say for sure. 

Mine has always "cackled" when I accelerate. And I've been running Mobil Delvac 5W40 synthetic, changed every 3000 miles (5000 kms.) since new. I use the PM-22 and PM-23 with every other fill up. If there's anything I should be doing differently I'm open to suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I like living on the edge with a  2011 Job1 build 6.7. 136k and still running strong! Have not had any of the early build engine gremlins.

I run PM-22 every tank but we have some crappy diesel here in AZ

the 15s do have a different injection pump and injectors along with the turbo. My dad has an identical truck but a 15MY and its has noticeably more power especially pulling a trailer up a grade. His will walk on mine all day long

• 9 months later...

Kenny, how did you fix your trucks with the blown up high pressure pumps ? Did you just replace the fuel system or did you find base engine problems? I have a 2016 f-500 with a blown up high pump, metal in vcv, rust stains on pcv and the high pressure roll pin has sheared off.